Can chelation start before ferritin reaches 1000mg

• 3 Replies

Offline maha

Can chelation start before ferritin reaches 1000mg
« on: April 17, 2008, 06:58:58 AM »
Hi everyone
Hassan is almost 2 years old now. His ferritin last month was 716mg. If desferal was my only choice I will surely wait till ferritin reaches 1000mg before starting chelation. But can exjade be started even before ferritin level reaches 1000mg( ofcourse under a docs supervision).
Also his reading prior to this was 549, it had increased to 716 in 7 weeks. My doc said the next time we repeat ferritin it would probably be closer to the previous figure of 549. Where does all the iron go then without chelation? Does this indicate that it is probably started to deposit somewhere..
Regards
maha
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 07:11:49 AM by maha »

Offline nannu

Re: Can chelation start before ferritin reaches 1000mg
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 08:04:47 AM »
Hi maha ,
     don't start the ion chelation without the consultation of haemtologist , since iron chelation therapy with exjade is also not without side effects , u'll have to continously do the RFT, LFT ANDferratin levels at every one and three months respectively. Don't worry about the ferratin levels may be because of some underlying resons results may have come at higher levels.
                                              :biggrin nanu

Offline maha

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 02:58:37 PM »
Hi Nannu
No I have not started chelation yet, but I know its going to be soon so I am weighing out my options. The most difficult problem I face as of now is to find a hematologist. There is only one private hospital in dammam-alkhobar which has a hematologist, but just my hard luck that there is no hema pediatric at the moment but they are expecting two of them in a couple of months. We are just finding a way to consult a hema in a govt hospital.
Take care
maha

Offline Life is Beautiful ~

• Writing on behalf of my daughter
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 07:16:13 PM »
You may consult Dr. M B Agarwal, who lives in Bombay but responds over e-mail.

I'll send you his mail id in a message.

Hi Nannu
No I have not started chelation yet, but I know its going to be soon so I am weighing out my options. The most difficult problem I face as of now is to find a hematologist. There is only one private hospital in dammam-alkhobar which has a hematologist, but just my hard luck that there is no hema pediatric at the moment but they are expecting two of them in a couple of months. We are just finding a way to consult a hema in a govt hospital.
Take care
maha
I want to see a definitive cure of Thalassaemia in my lifetime. May God bless all of us.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk