What you classify this as Thal major or minor?

• 3 Replies
What you classify this as Thal major or minor?
« on: August 17, 2008, 05:43:18 AM »
My husband has Thal major, but during his life he got his spleen removed about 6 years ago and since then the doctor told him that he no longer had to do transfusions anymore....from what i understand...thal major is classified as that you have to get transfusions...but my hubby has thal major and he does not have to have transfusions...would u guys classify this as thal major...or is he thal minor now.....i get so confused sometimes..can someone help me...i think this website is great and really has helpful information...????/

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
Re: What you classify this as Thal major or minor?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 06:25:05 AM »
Hi,

In my opinion he is either Thal. Intermedia or was Thal. minor with severe symptoms that required spleenectomy in later life.

You could have gotten a better picture if he had done his blood tests earlier.

An intermedia's Hb hovers around 6-8 g/dl through early life and later might require transfusions which can be delayed or avoided if spleenectomy is done.

A minor's Hb remains quite higher about 8-12g/dl for men and most of the times don't require any special treatment; such are called Thal. Minima or Minors without symptoms.

While there are Thal. Minors who have some complications like lethargy, dizziness and paleness which is a result of very low Hb levels and possibly due to a hyperactive spleen. This can be cured by transfusions or spleenectomy
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 04:17:33 PM »
He would be classified as thal intermedia, and previously the classification as major was based on his transfusion dependency, but this could also have been classified as transfusing intermedia.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline howard

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 10:59:49 AM »
I was previously had HepC too and I was those lucky few who was able to build the antibody to kill the virus away. But HepC can be a huge problem and although it might not cause you a problem now but you wont know in future when it turns Chronic.

Best advise is to treat the Hep C asap and heard that most patient is given Interfrone and Rabravine also but that could cause your HB to drop tremendously w those medication so talk to your doc and decide

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk