Exjade & Diabetes

• 12 Replies

Offline Qiji

Exjade & Diabetes
« on: December 08, 2008, 05:02:06 PM »

Hi All

please can any one tell me the side effect of Exjade on  Diabetes and it will come up or come down.
I mean If any one have Diabetes he can take Exjade.

Thanks all
Qiji

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
Re: Exjade & Diabetes
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 05:04:46 PM »
Qiji,

I don't think that Exjade will have any effect on your diabetes.  You can confirm this your doctor - but I think that you should be able to safely take Exjade.  Just make sure that you are adequately hydrated (take plenty of fluids) throughout the day. 

Andy, can you add anything to this?

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 05:31:22 PM »
Hi Qiji ,
i dont know Exactly, but , my opinion is , exjade is good for diabetic thals  ...
bcoze exjade chelate's iron from liver and diabetes happen bcoze of liver iron over load, which lead's liver to get enlarged ,  and enlargement of liver make's it difficult for Pancreas to perform its work..  sooo, i think yes , Diabetics can use Exjade , .. another reason is ,  i m a diabetic and my doc gave me intiative that she will turn me on exjade realy soon ...

wat i mentioned above , it is my opinion only ,,, not my experience ...
soo, please wait for others to reply and answer abt it  as well .....

P.S : please corect me if i mentioed something wrong in my post .... :grin

Best Regards
Take Care
Umair
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 06:42:52 PM »
As Umair said, diabetes in thals is the result of too much iron in the organs so chelation can actually improve your diabetes. The main contraindication for Exjade is if you have any renal (kidney) problems. High levels of serum creatinine would prevent use of Exjade but diabetes does not.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 07:52:47 PM »
Can patients who develop diabetes from thalassemia recover from diabetes?  Or can the diabetes get better? 

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Qiji

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 08:04:03 PM »
thank's all

I don't have any problem in kidney ( thanks to god ), but i take Exjade for one week and the suger blood level it was coming high but I don't take it now it's good but I don't know is coze of exjade or coze the drug coze my doctor change my drug for diabetes.

Qiji

Qiji

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 08:24:37 PM »
Diabetes can improve with lowered ferritin but I don't know if it can be cured because of iron damage to the pancreas. Herbs like milk thistle may do some good in helping to regenerate damaged tissue but probably not enough to restore full health.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 09:29:09 PM »
Qiji ,
i you can find your answer in this thread , its related to the iron and diabetes .... in this thread i mentioned that
" as my Ferritin level is decreasing, my insulin need is decreasing as well "
http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php?topic=1825.msg17108#msg17108

it will show you the importance of chelation in diabetic thals ....

Best Regards
Take Care
Umair
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 12:32:47 AM »
Umair,

That is really good to hear!  I am very glad that you are seeing the benefits of chelating and reducing your iron.  Keep up the good work,  I hope that your ferritin comes down significantly very soon.  Do you know what your ferritin is at right now? 

Are you going to start exjade soon?  It may be a good thing that you have been using L1 for a while, which must have cleaned out your heart - and the exjade will clear out your liver and other organs. 

Keep it up buddy, this is very inspirational!

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Dori

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 11:26:57 AM »
I iwish i could make this clear to my 14 yeard old friend and her parents. It's so sad that she stopped with chelation after she get diabetis. i feel sad, that i can't save her. Their refuse transfusion aswel.  :'(

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 09:22:27 PM »
Thanx Sharmin ,
i dont know exactly about my SF level .. but i think it could b near about 1500 bcoze i m complying with chelation and regular with my medicine especialy to Ferriprox  after exactly hours gap ...  yeah i think heart is clear to iron and there is more free space in my heart for me and my Family to live in :grin hahaha ... before this all four quarter of my heart were occupied by iron, but now i took back the possesion of my heart ....  :grin i hope my doc will turn me on exjade in next year ( sometime in january )  to take the possesion of liver as well ... soo work is underway  ... i have planned to not to have SF test before january ....soo everything will remain same till january , no updates & nothing new ...

@ Dore,
try to convince her to start chelation other wise she could  have severe complications of iron overload like , weak bones , bone pains , heart problemes and liver probleme , and  many others ... tell her like this , you have to spend all the time you have , you cant even die before your time come's up , soo there are two ways to spend your life :
1) to live a quality life by taking good care of yor self , and you will enoy the life to its fullest, in this way   ..
2) by not aking care of your self , it will make your case more complicated and you will live your life on your bed , by sticking to your bed , in this way you will not enjoy your life and your life will bcome a pain ..

soo which one is better way to spend your life decision is yours ...

i hope she wil understand ... it work's i tried it o my many frined at my thal center and most of them started chelation .. it feel very good when your motivation works and someone start's to take care of his/her self ...

@ Qiji,
check this link , it will help you to understand complete picture ... 
" something about Liver, iron overload, chelation, diabetes and hepatitis "
http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php?topic=1870.0;highlight=something+liver

i hope you will find your answer in it ...

Best Regards
Umair

===========
Umair

Offline Dori

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2008, 11:19:54 PM »
Umair, she lives in the biblebelt of my country. That's the biggest problem. I can not keep asking. I kept saying that, but we lost almost our contact. I made a pkd BeNeLux forum and she's the second moderator. Maybe I will let my parents invite her parents. Maybe there's hope, but I am afraid not.

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 03:30:50 AM »
Dore, I totally agree with Umair. please keep trying. What is her parent's point of view in choosing this option????????

manal

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk