tooth discoloration

• 6 Replies

Offline maha

tooth discoloration
« on: December 16, 2008, 11:50:14 AM »
Hi
Last week Hassan had had a fall. He was bleeding from his lower lip . The bleeding did take some stopping. The next day I noticed a clot on his upper lip too. He fell again the  next day and this time he was bleeding from his upperlip. A couple of days later one of his front incisors turned a bluish grey. I checked over the net and found that tooth discoloration can occur after an injury and doesn`t require any urgent action. I am so scared to take him to a dentist. What if he doesn`t understand thalassemia. I keep recollecting an article I had read on this site when a thal had lost her life because of a dental complication. What are the precautions I should take when I take him to the dentist.
maha

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
Re: tooth discoloration
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 03:27:33 PM »
Dear Maha

Please don't worry,but by all means you have to check with the dentist, because sometimes this discoloration is normal and is like having a bruise when you get hit and other times it is a result of the break of the tooth from the inside and no body will know except the dentist.

Usually before any visit to the dentist ( whether when my son had a decayed tooth or just for cleaning ) an antibiotic is given to him.

Once i had to make frequent visits ( 3 visits ) to the dentist for 10 days (tooth decay). in all the 10 days my son had an antibiotic. But one i do just the cleaning which is done only in one visit no more, he takes one big dose of antibiotic two hours before he sees the dentist and no more.

Usually no dentist is familiar with thal but the usage of the antibiotic will prevent any bacteria from entering the circulation. You can also let the dentist have a phone call with your hematologist if he needs to ask about any thing

Please keep us updated

manal

Offline maha

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 04:39:36 AM »
Hi Manal
Who prescribes the antibiotic, the dentist or the paed? The little fellow runs without looking and keeps falling.
thankyou
maha

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 06:34:54 PM »
Dear Maha,

Seeing a dentist in thalassemia is very important - to preventative because you don't want infections to get out of control and because dentists can keep track of any facial and jaw changes in the patients. 

My son hasn't received antibiotics before dental appointments in the past, but now because he has received rituximab and prednisone I will have him take antibiotics before cleanings and dental work. 

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 01:39:03 AM »
The little fellow runs without looking and keeps falling.

Maha, they all do the same thing :mad

Actually in my case the hematologist prescribed it first and later on when i had to do the cleaning, the hematologist travelled and at that time the dentist made the prescription. Both of them chose the same antibiotic which was Augmentin (probably because it covers a wide range)

Hope this help,please update us about his condition and don't forget to ask the dentist to check his jaws

manal

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 10:21:06 AM »
Hi Maha,

My son ,who doesn't have thal,recently fell down and had discolouration of tooth,very front one :( i checked with the dentist and she told me that this tooth is now like dead,lost connection from inside,from blood circulation,an x ray will confirm if his permanant teeth is effected inside,but unfortunately i was unable to make him sit straight to get an x ray,so we are just dealing with looking at one greyish blue tooth when ever he smiles  :-\.

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline maha

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 01:07:09 PM »
Hi Zaini
It`s certainly a relief to know things like this do happen. He doesn`t seem to have any apparent infection nor does he complain of any pain. He is due for his next tranx on the 2nd of jan and I will show him to the dentist then as well. I don`t want to take him to the dentist right away, because of the change in climate there`s infection everywhere. After months my little boy looks like himself (he had lost a lot of weight) and I don`t want him to pick an infection only waiting for the dentist at the hospital.
thankyou
maha

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk