Skeletal changes by low hbg

• 12 Replies

Offline Dori

Skeletal changes by low hbg
« on: November 12, 2008, 08:08:14 PM »
Dear forum,

I think a few of you know that I don't have thal., but an other are hemolytic anemia called pk (d).
We have English forum and I need your help.

Parents of a young boy are asking about skeletal changes caused by a low hbg. Their son get an transfusion by 6. A lot lower than the level of you all keep. In general I see that people don't undestand why you should stay at higher level (by our disease). Our treatment is the same as you, but a lot of people are uninformered. I am happy to have a doc (since 1,5 year) who treat me as a patient with thal.

I know what a low hgb does with your bones. Your bone marrow has to work harder. The bone marrow is in your bones, so the bones are growing. Right? Your english is probably better than me and that's why I ask for help. My jaw looks a lil weird, but I am probably the only one who have noticed that ;).

Thanking you in advance,

Dore

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
Re: Skeletal changes by low hbg
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 11:08:22 PM »
Dear Dore

When the Hb is low, the bone marrow inside the cavity of our bones starts working very hard in attempt to produce more blood to increase the Hb. Working hard, makes the bone marrow increase in size. When the size increases, the cavity of the bones become small for the big size the marrow which starts to make pressure on the bones making them brittle ( that is why having calcium daily is very important) and also causing them to chnage resulting in bone deformity.

Also sometimes this increased in size marrow comes out of the bones causing something called extramedullary hematopoesis which cause pressure on the organ it is created around. Usually this mass is decrerased or controlled in size when regular transfusion starts and when Hb is always kept at high levels, not less than 10. Sometimes medicines like hydroxyurea are used to supress the bone marrow, leading to a decrease in the  extramedullary hematopoesis and if it does not work radioactivity is used to decrease or control this mass, butusually regular blood transfusion solves the problem.

Children should be monitered for growth and  bone deformity to avoid bone complications. Also bone age should be done too.

But i too have a question: Is bone deformity reversible when transfusion starts or it depends on the place that the deformity has occured???

Thanks

Manal

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 03:25:51 AM »
Manal,

I don't think bone deformity is reversible,i have seen so many patients who started chronic transfusions but their boes didn't change shape.let's see what Andy has to say.

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Dori

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 04:09:16 PM »
Thank you Manal and Zaini!
I copied your message and post it on the pkd forum. I hope it's ok. You are personal translator :)

Offline Manal

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 02:06:36 AM »
You are more than welcomed Dore :hugfriend

manal

Offline maryo0m

• ---SPREAD UR WINGS AND FLY---
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 01:38:59 AM »
HI all,

good news (bone changes are reversaible) only if its in a very young age,,,,

also the bones expand and change their shape into getting bigger to have a wider surface because they need more RBC's coz as we know Red blood cells contain oxygen and our body and bones need oxygen and thalassemia major people dont have much oxygen in their body when their HB levels are low because the red blood cells in thals are not healthy and damaged (their for they dont carry much oxygen)

I hope this is helpfull

mariam
------------Spread your wings and fly-----------

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 12:13:57 PM »
I hope this is helpfull
Yup , its realy helpful MaryoOm ,
Thanx for sharing this useful information ..
it wil encourage young thals to controle their SF and maintain their Hg ASAP to reverse the bone deformities they have .. soo its realy helpful info  ... i hope to hear more usefull information from you .... :thumbup :thumbs

Best Regards
Take Care
Umair
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline Dori

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 06:13:29 PM »

I am afraid, I dont have that luck anymore.
They dont think about this often in my country  :(

Offline Manal

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 01:30:04 AM »
Thanks Mariam :hugfriend

manal

Offline maryo0m

• ---SPREAD UR WINGS AND FLY---
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2008, 11:52:02 PM »
Your welcome guys, dore yeah even in kuwait they dont allow us 2 take blood at 10 hb  but i never listen hehehe
------------Spread your wings and fly-----------

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2008, 06:41:30 PM »
hey i am new to this forum. all i know is that u r looking quite stunning in the picture in which you are sitting beside your dog.just precive  things positavely and do not let this matter bother you. :wink

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2008, 07:35:38 PM »
Hi D.J ( Diskjocky ) ,
i like the way you came in the scene after staying silent to a long time , i like the style ... i m also registered at Ganga Ram hospital  ( DR.Jovaria Manan's patient ) ... i red abt ur idea of setting up a call center that is a  great idea budy , keep the good work up :thumbsup i like it .... way to go buddy you have to too far ahead ... take care

Best Regards
Take Care
Umair
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2008, 09:44:19 PM »
thank you,all i need is the support from u guys and gals

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk