Thalassemia and emotions

• 34 Replies

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
Thalassemia and emotions
« on: January 03, 2009, 07:21:23 PM »
Most people will face the blues in life.  Sometimes this is due to circumstances and disappointments, other times it may be due to sheer boredom or the cause may be unknown.  Those having thalassemia may be more prone to these feelings for many reasons.  Feeling disadvantaged, having to deal with needles and pain, feeling afraid for your future, hearing of other thals who did not do well, complications due to thalassemia, physiological problems due to iron overload (that actually cause depression) as Andy has mentioned in another post, depletion of certain essential vitamins and minerals in the disease and many other issues that can lead to negative feelings. 

I have been hearing about this since my son was a baby and I have been trying to prepare him for these feelings that may occur as he grows.  I know that all children face different feelings and sometimes may feel sad for no reason.  I have taken these opportunities to make them aware of these feelings and not become overwhelmed by them. 

On a few occasions, when little A was 6 years old, he told me that he felt sad for no apparent reason.  Initially, I was startled and hoped that it would not persist.  When he complained a few times, I decided to share a book with him portraying many faces, each showing expressions of different emotions.  I told him "Of course you will feel sad sometimes.  Sadness is an emotion and emotions make you human - as does feeling happy, sad, surprised etc."  This explanation seemed to make sense to him and he actually like it.  I also told him that it was okay to be sad and disappointed sometimes,  but that it is very important that he moved past these feelings and to feel happy and excited most of the time. 

Other steps I have taken to ensure his emotional well being has been to ensure that he is getting his vitamins and supplements.  At the time I did not know nearly as much as I now do (thanks to Andy and this website).  Deficiencies can have negative impact on emotions.  I also began educating him more about thalassemia and how all people have different challenges (allergies, disabilities etc). 

Little A soon became quite mature about his feelings and was able to determine if he was bored, disappointed or actually sad.  I also advised him to allow a certain amount of time for himself to feel these emotions because it was necessary to feel them, but that he should make sure he was always in control of his feelings and actions.  I think that this is a necessary skill especially for a person having thalassemia.  I then gave him tools to help him feel better when he was ready to move past the sad feelings - like doing something he enjoyed or engaging in something so that he did not develop a habit of doing "nothing" and being sad.  I also told him how he could talk to others and get help.  Although his few moments of sadness were not severe and were relatively short, they gave me an opportunity to make him aware of his feelings.   

When my daughter was 5 years old she came to me saying that she also was sad for no reason.  Much to my surprise my son began telling her that it was okay and that it meant that she was human.  He told her 'when I was 6 is used to feel sad sometimes too...." I couldn't believe how well he helped her understand.  The next day while sitting in the back seat of my car my daughter began singing a song she made up "sometimes I'm sad, sometimes I'm mad, sometimes I am happy....because I am human and I like having feelings because it is better than not having any feelings at all - but I am in charge because they are my feelings..".  I was blown away because she had learned this from her brother. 

There are days when we need to review all of this with our children.  During the difficult situation we faced this summer, we all required a lot of refreshing and relearning.  I also realized that the numerous meds he was given as well as the time spent in the hospital depleted little A's energy.  A nutritious diet, supplements and a lot of positive talk and actions helped greatly.  As Andy can tell you, I shared pictures of little A with him from June and then December - along with the unbelievable physical change - the energy and excitement in his eyes is the biggest change.

I think that it is important to let thals talk about their concerns and feelings.  It is important to acknowledge that they face a lot of difficult situations and that it is okay to feel bad about that sometimes - as long as they are feeling good most of the time.  There must be more good than bad - A LOT more good than bad to live a healthy balanced life.  Trying to live as normal of a life as possible is very important, because being sheltered emphasizes the negative and keeps thal with you in a negative way all of the time.  Being engaged in life in whatever manner possible is important.  Finding out what you are good at and doing it is very important.  Helping others and making a difference in other peoples lives is very very important.  It is also important to do things to engage in things that improve your own health because that reinforces how important you are and how important your health is. 

Remember, along with acknowledging your challenges and the negative feelings they may bring - it is very very important to acknowledge the positives and all that you can do.  Taking control is very important - take control of your feelings and your future and then your life will look more the way you want it to.  There will always be things that you can't change - so change what you can and change it to the way you want it to be. 

These are some of my ideas and what has worked for me - emotions are most of the battle in thalassemia.  Emotionally healthy thals do better because essentially they are in charge of their own health.  I look forward to hearing your ideas for myself and to help some of our adolescent and adult patients in dealing with their emotions. 

Sharmin
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 05:01:09 AM by sharmin »
Sharmin

Offline Dori

Re: Thalassemia and emotions
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 09:08:39 PM »
Dear Sharmin,

Thank you for your article. I realise that I still have a long way to go. I have been very depressed in my teenage years and later. I won't discuss all the things here, but it has been hard. I haven't close the history fully.  It's again pretty hard since I realised what real friendships means, and it's a bit difficult to start new ones. When 2008 ended I realised that I have learnt so much this past year. I really believe I have grown in my emotional "system". I hope I'll can do the same thing in 2009. Oho, I ran out of my words.
Thank you once again and good night, Dore " " cant remember the right word :shy

Kathy11

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 11:24:22 PM »
Hi Peartree Girl.
Remember" What does not kill you will makes you stronger ",You only ,need to know how, to learn from you mistakes .
I have followed your postings on this forum I think you are a well articulated young woman.
Have faith in yourself and gives the heaven about a look from time to time.
Good luck girl.

Kathy11

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 11:30:20 PM »
The strength lies in knowing how to sit out whatever emotional trouble we might have untill it passes.
The sun always shine after the dark cloudy days.

Knowing and feeling the above words made a huge different in my life,
I hope it enlighten some'

Sharmin keep up the good work :hugfriend :hugfriend :hugfriend
With love from Kathy

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 03:21:35 AM »
Sharmin, thank you is so little for this wonderful post. I have to apply what you said first on me cause i need to learn how to control my contious stress and axiety first. In these past two and half years i am having a very neagtive impact on my family especially my children. It seems that i am trying to learn as much as i can about thalassemia but on  the other side i am causing a lot of tension to who ever deals with me and i think that my children are becoming very tense all the time and i know i am the reason because of my impatience and stress. Sometime i think of seeking medical help but i just know that you are only put on antidepreesent that you become addict to and i don't want to end up with this. Pray for me to get control over me
manal

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 03:35:21 AM »
Dear Manal,

You are not alone - as parents we try so hard to make everything perfect for our children that we become run down.  We are mentally and emotionally fatigued so please take it easy on yourself:)  Remember to acknowledge the positive effect you have on your family.  You take on this stress to benefit your family and it is much needed.  The normal stressors of life continue to happen too - too bad we can't put up our hand and so "sorry, I have enough going on so I can't take you on too...."  Sometimes it seems that there is no quota for how much stress can come our way.  I think we should be pretty proud of ourselves each day that we get through it.  Manal, we have all learned so much from your calm and rational way of thinking - and how caring you are about everyone.  I have met very few people who are as persistent as you - and who have the ability to take action for what they believe in.  Hats off to you my friend. 

Remember the positive is all of the wonderful things that thals actually can do - and how promising the future can be if we are compliant - and research continues to go well. 

As for being stressed - trust me, I can be a royal pain somedays  :wink

Dore and Kathy thank you for your encouragement.  I have learned a lot from you both as well:) 

Sharmin

« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 05:10:03 AM by sharmin »
Sharmin

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 05:02:26 PM »
Sharmin, thank you is so little for this wonderful post. I have to apply what you said first on me cause i need to learn how to control my contious stress and axiety first. In these past two and half years i am having a very neagtive impact on my family especially my children. It seems that i am trying to learn as much as i can about thalassemia but on  the other side i am causing a lot of tension to who ever deals with me and i think that my children are becoming very tense all the time and i know i am the reason because of my impatience and stress. Sometime i think of seeking medical help but i just know that you are only put on antidepreesent that you become addict to and i don't want to end up with this. Pray for me to get control over me
manal

It's the same with me,may be more harsh,Sharmin knows very well.

Thanks Sharmin,

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Manal

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 12:05:47 AM »
Thanks Sharmin for the compliments and the encourgement. I only hope that the benefits will be more than the damage one may reflect on the children :dunno :dunno Anyway, come on Zaini we have to be optimistic as Sahrmin said and try hard and hard to control our behavior with our children so we wouldn't be like the bear that killed her friend :-\
manal

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 04:13:59 AM »
You are right my friends.  If this is something that is working against us then it is something we all need to address and work through.  We are doing so much else for our children that we need to find a way to give them our patience too.  It is important to get to the source of the frustration before we can do that - and to deal with what frustrates us so much.  I think that some of the issues have to do with being a mother - and the other has to do with dealing with thalassemia.  In trying to make things perfect for tomorrow perhaps we forget the basics of life - like being happy today.   

I also think that we set an example by handling situations in certain ways - perhaps we need to figure out what we want them to learn. 

I will definitely try to post some of my ideas about this topic because it hits home with so many people - I would love to hear your ideas.  We all have so much to learn from one another.  It is amazing what we are able to come up with when we begin talking. 

Thank you in advance,

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 08:08:46 PM »
well my way to deal with people is :
if somone through and hit you with stone, then its ur duty to shower flowers  on him , but .... including with flower pot  :happydance :rotfl :happydance :rotfl :happydance :grin

Umair :grin :biggrin
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 09:05:53 PM »
Umair you are hilarious  :rotfl
Sharmin

Offline Manal

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 11:29:52 PM »
Umair, that is really sooooooo funny :hugfriend

Sharmin, we are in great need of discussing these ideas. It will be very beneficial to all of us , especially me  :-\ will be waiting for those ideas too

manal

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 04:01:59 AM »
Well i don't have any ideas,but i'll definitely be the one get benefit from any such ideas,coz as much as i try to control myself,i loose control and loose my temper too,and then i feel guilty about it.I know i care about my kids a lot,but the question is " do they think so? "If not,then it's definitely my fault.

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2009, 09:17:55 AM »
thank you all ,
its wat the peak of my anger ,, its like a sweet knife .. haha haha .. dont care abt wat people saying  just ran over or left them wat ever the say .. you cant put your hand to anyone's mouth soo  let them say wat-ever they want to say or shower flower hahahhah ... another way to hanndle the people who always look to tease you ..for thse keep in mind that nobody is perfect in this world just have a  deep look over them and find wat is his/her weakness is ,, most common weakness is  " just to puzle thoes people you may say them hey you noose is too long or your noose is a little bended to left side ..  take the people where they desrve and then they will never hurt you again ... when they won't to think before saying anything then why should you ??.. but answer should be very polite and with a smile it ... that will b like a sweet knife hahha ... i never minded  anything  if happened to me .. ignore that wat you dont like its the way to live a super happy life ..... i dont care abt wat people think abt me i do care only for those who care abt me my emotion and my feelings ... if anyone determined t hurt my emotions my feeling he will never meet to succes , bcoze i dont care abt wat he think abt me..... i just care the people near around me and my heart and those i live's in their hearts too ...

i hope i explained wat i wanted to explain .. please let me know if you unable to understand anything in my post ... .. take care and remember life is a motorbike when ever it trouble  just kick it hard and it will start again ,...... HAVE A NICE RIDE/JOURNEY ...

BEst REgards
TakeCARE
Umair
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline Manal

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 10:55:46 AM »
Well i don't have any ideas,but i'll definitely be the one get benefit from any such ideas,coz as much as i try to control myself,i loose control and loose my temper too,and then i feel guilty about it.I know i care about my kids a lot,but the question is " do they think so? "If not,then it's definitely my fault.

I totally agree about everyword and this guilt adds more to our stress and it becomes like a viscous circle

manal

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk