Bilirubin

• 11 Replies

Offline tyson

Bilirubin
« on: June 01, 2010, 11:24:03 AM »
Hey guys i just had my transfusion today and nurse went through my results and was alarmed by my bilirubin results. its was 120 or so apparently.  just asking whats your bilirubin results? whats the ideal range and whats the range where it should be a big concern.i know thal patients have a higher bilirubin than others. i often have yellow eyes and i know thats liver related. does anyone else often have yellowish eyes? i have have bad reflux lately and havnt been taking 4 days worth of exjade and havnt been eating prperly or drinking much could that be part of the high bilirubin aswell? my ferritin is 355 this month and she considered high. at the start of last year i had ferritin of 1500 and it came down to 80 in feb so i was told to reduce my dosage a bit.

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
Re: Bilirubin
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 01:25:58 AM »
Tyson

Your levels are really high, are you sure of the number??

Normal range for the total Bilirubin is below 2

As long as you are regularly transfusing your bilirubin should be in the normal range or may be little bit elevated, so i guess that having such a high level could be caused of other reasons other than hemolysis.

There may be some kind of blockage of the liver or bile ducts. Your gall bladder could be blocked with stones causing an increase in the levels. Do you suffer from back and shoulder aches, they are usually related to gall bladder stones (you can check through ultrasound)

Also having hepatitis could play a role in this elevated levels, did you check your other liver functions??

Another inherited disorders that is related to metabolism could also be related to increased levels.

I advise you to make an abdominal scan by ultrasound first in order to know from where to start

Please keep updating

manal

Offline tyson

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 01:51:38 AM »
hey,

im not quite sure she said 120. its it was 120 and it was in critial condition the dr would of kept me in and did more tests. 4 weeks ago its was 90.

well i havnt been eating healthy when i was sick. i was eating alot of junk food so i dont know if that has anything to do with anything. i dont have any back or shoulder pains at all.

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 01:58:35 AM »
Tyson

what is the unit used in your tests???
Direct bilirubin: 0 to 0.3 mg/dL
Total bilirubin: 0.3 to 1.9 mg/dL
Note: mg/dL = milligrams per deciliter

90 is still very high for being on regular transfusion!!!

manal

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 02:05:42 AM »
Tyson,

I agree that this may be a gallbladder problem and should be investigated. Bilirubin levels above 25 indicate a possible blockage and would explain the jaundice (yellow eyes, skin).

From my experience with my daughter, I would say stop eating junk food. She had terrible problems as a teenager and her diet was full of candy and junk food. My mother also had regular gallbladder pain whenever she ate fatty foods. A good diet cannot be overrated. Fruits and vegetables are very important in supplying the vitamins and minerals necessary for proper organ function. Magnesium can play a role in controlling bilirubin, so make sure you're eating your fruits and vegetables. Also, get plenty of water daily.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline tyson

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 03:49:31 AM »
ok i just asked nurse to send me my results and my bilirubin total is 153 umol/L

all of my other results are normal. say if there was a blockage what could they do? is it really serious??

ok i will stop eating junk food as i can see that the gallblader has something to do with breaking down fat. but during my reflux i was craving junk food to get me going. anyother advice to keep the liver healthy? liver detox kit do anything?

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 04:36:40 AM »
That explains it. umol/L has to be divided by 17.1 to convert to mg/dl, so your bilirubin would be 8.95 mg/dl. This is a bit high but not unusual for thals, and is caused by hemolysis. However, the way you've been feeling could indicate gallstones. Vitamin D is important so try to get some more sun and eat better.
Andy

Offline Bobby

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 04:50:22 PM »
My eyes are always yellow. somedays more than others. When I was younger before I had my gallbladder out one of my childhood Dr.'s I saw recently said I was a "fragile little yellow boy". I had my gallbladder out at 13.

Offline PositiveVibes

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 11:07:25 PM »
Hey ! My total bilirubin is usually a bit higher than the normal one. Last time it was 41 umol/L. Unfortnately I have yellow eyes and sometimes they are even more yellow. It happens usually when I dont sleep well or when i am too exhausted.  Sometimes it happens a few days aftr i have blood transfusion. Dont know the very reason for that .

Rozitka

Offline tyson

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 11:22:50 AM »
Hhey im in hospital atm been here for a week now from saw stomach. my liver enzimes are kinda high and biliruben is at 200 or so. dr did an ultrasound throught they found a sludge, did at ct scan to try confirm it but nothing and a enoscopything with ultrasound tip came with nothing. im stressing out and worried. i was happing it was just stones so they can just remove it. all of my liver function test are alright. i just want them to find out and let me go home.... :(

Offline Waleed

• I'm not normal but Supernormal
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 02:45:58 PM »
willl milk thistle helps lower bilirubin ??? Any experiences? I wanna get rid of yellowness in my beautiful eyes really  :biggrin
Waleed

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 04:20:23 AM »
Both bilirubin and hepatitis can cause yellow eyes. Milk thistle may have some effect on this, although some of the other supplements may also have an effect. I don't know how much you can affect the production of bilirubin, because it is directly related to hemolysis of the transfused blood, and that is not easily slowed.
Andy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk