husband

• 2 Replies
husband
« on: April 09, 2010, 03:06:58 PM »
 hi everybody i am new on here, my husband has just been diagnosed at the grand old age of 62yr he has type 2 diebetis and it came out in his last blood test . we are in Scotland and therefore the Dr's here dont often come across this condition , Dimitri is from Egypt but with a Greek background .so from what i have read he must have Beta Thalassemia  . he isnt recieiving any treatment so far and they want to see him again in 2 weeks time .
we do not have any children together and Dimitri doesnt have any at all . so far he keeps well and holds down a full time job .he has 3 sisters 2 in Egypt and 1 in London , she is married with a daughter who is  married and has a son . my question is do u think  we should tell them to have a test . Dimitri is recitent at telling his older sister as she was in a coma for 3months a few years ago [due to a perferated bowel it was colitis ]and she doesnt keep too good as it is . is there a poss she could have it?  would it not have shown up when she was in the hospital .what about her grandson?
 i will try and visit here once a day and i hope to hear from someone soon ,thank you for yr time
  my name is Julie  :))         

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: husband
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 03:45:20 PM »
Hi Julie,

Your husband should have a test called hemoglobin electrophoresis (a simple blood test). This should determine if he is indeed a beta thal carrier. If this is confirmed, his family should also be encouraged to be tested, because if they are carriers and have a child with another carrier, there is a 25% chance of the child being thal major, which is a lifelong chronic condition that requires blood transfusions and much care and treatment. Carriers are much better off knowing their status so they can make informed decisions.

In your bio you mention that the doctor said your husband is low iron. Doctors often make this statement based on a low hemoglobin or hematocrit level, but this does not actually mean the patient is iron deficient because there are other causes of anemia. If his Hb is low because of beta thal, iron will not help at all and should be avoided. A group of blood tests called iron studies can determine his actual iron status and whether he needs supplements.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Re: husband
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 08:29:12 PM »
  hi Andy , thank you for the quick reply ,  it looks like there is a lot to learn about thalassemia the different types etc . Dimitri is going back on the 23rd of this month but this time he will know to ask more questions specially about his blood test , thanks for the name of it by the way .
kind regards  Julie 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk