Stink Bombs

• 3 Replies

Offline Ash

• Thalassaemia WS
Stink Bombs
« on: August 22, 2006, 01:33:09 PM »
Ok it seems a dysfunctional liver would launch amonia stink bombs. LOL

So nausea and vomiting is the order of the day.

Does anyone have experience on this before? Can this be turned around?

Offline Isis

• Ash and me
Re: Stink Bombs
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 09:43:16 PM »
If liver metabolism is affected and the proteins are not processed adequately, it can result in  raised levels of ammonia because the liver is unable to remove ammonia produced by metabolic processes. The levels may be high esp. after meals.

Higher levels of ammonia can get risky enough to cause  symptoms of disorientation to neurological  problems .

Refer: http://www.medhelp.org/forums/hepatitis/archive/328.html

Note: The micro-organism Helicobacter pylori can exacerbate this problem for people with liver disease. Helicobacter pylori lives in the digestive tract and is one of the main causes of ulceration. Eradication of the organism by treatment with antibacterial or antibiotic drugs is effective in reducing ammonia levels in people with liver dysfunction.

Here's what I found outhttp://www.nurseminerva.co.uk/metaboli1.htm

Are there medicines against hyperammonaemia?

Hyperammonaemia is treated by either decreasing ammonia production in the gastrointestinal tract or by increasing ammonia removal from the blood by the liver and skeletal muscle. The metabolic imbalance can be made worse by the presence of co-existing catabolic states such as infections, since these result in an increased breakdown of proteins in the body and hence increased production of ammonia. Peritoneal dialysis and haemodialysis have been used with some success in the treatment of hyperammonaemia (Gortner et al, 1989; Falk et al, 1994). Early therapy with intravenous sodium benzoate and sodium phenylacetate can slow the rate of ammonia accumulation in the blood (Tuchman et al, 1992; Lo et al, 1993). The essential amino acids arginine, citrulline, and carnitine are also useful adjuncts in the treatment of urea cycle disorders (Brusilow, 1984; Hochreutener et al, 1989). Liver transplantation is another option (Todo et al, 1992). New therapeutic approaches are aimed at correcting the neurotransmitter and cerebral energy deficits resulting from hyperammonaemia

Therapy

1. Removal of toxic agents. Identify and remove any drug or toxin which may potentially hurt the liver.

2. Rest and confinement. This will help divert body resources to the healing process at the liver and reduce discomfort caused by inflammation of the liver such as painful belly, nausea, malaise.

3. Dietary management: Extremely important. The goal is to provide all the necessary nutrients which may be lost due to failure of liver processing without overtaxing the liver with regards to processing of dietary intake. High levels of top quality protein to provide the essential amino acids in an easily digestible carrier which will not produce high levels of ammonia during digestion. Cottage cheese is good, meat tends to produce high levels of ammonia. High level carbohydrates to drive the metabolism of the body, essential fatty acids not less than 6% of the daily intake, and a good mineral and vitamin supplement. 

4. Control of ascites and water retention. Reduce sodium intake.

The liver has a tremendous reserve capacity, which means that it can easily perform its duties with up to 70 to 80 per cent of the liver mass affected by disease. While it certainly is a benefit that our liver can keep us alive despite an overwhelming infection or a massive tumour, it also means that the disease is well advanced and possibly untreatable before any symptoms are noted. We all know that disease is most easily conquered early, but the very nature of the liver makes this an impossible task. One thing about livers though: they are the only organ in the body which is capable of complete regeneration and thus if we do manage to successfully treat the disease, there is a chance of complete recovery.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 09:49:20 PM by Isis »

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 02:58:50 AM »
I found reference to another medicine, Lactulose, that is used for high levels of ammonia.

From http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/medmaster/a682338.html

Lactulose is a synthetic sugar used to treat constipation. It is broken down in the colon into products that pull water out from the body and into the colon. This water softens stools. Lactulose is also used to reduce the amount of ammonia in the blood of patients with liver disease. It works by drawing ammonia from the blood into the colon where it is removed from the body.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Ash

• Thalassaemia WS
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 09:31:57 AM »
More clarity on this, the liver damage maybe caused due to high iron or Hep C further tests need to confirm on this.

Regarding the stink bombs, I have been informed by a very good physician that when I had the viral fever the fever bought my platele count down and when the GP gave me a shot that had a side effect on my liver this amonia problem now has been found to be temporary.

A gastroentologist has confirmed that it should not be a problem any more. Although my liver has been affected due to the above mentioned it is not really bad and that my LFT is 2.5

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk