Need help...

• 6 Replies
Need help...
« on: October 22, 2013, 09:40:37 PM »
Hey I got my blood report today...is there anybody out there who can help me understand this?

the following are my results:

HbA 4.7
HbF 0.6
HbA2 5.9
HbD 88.8

Elevated RBC and decreased MCV

What exactly does this indicated?

Am I a beta thalessemia minor, intermedia, or major?

I think it is HbD/Beta thalessemia

I'm 25 and so far I have no symptoms so far...Am I at risk of anything severe?

Also if I marry somebody else who has minor Thalessemia, what are the chances that our children will have major Thalessemia or something life threatening or fatal?

Any feedback to any of the questions will be appreciated :)

Re: Need help...
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 09:41:56 PM »
Also my hemoglobin and hemotocrit is within range...

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 09:50:33 PM »
You carry HbD, so you are a thal minor. This does not affect your health much, if at all. It can however create issue when combined with another beta thal minor, so genetic counselling would be advised if that scenario was a possibility. When mixed with alpha thal, it tends to create a thal minor condition, so no worries on that side.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 10:13:44 PM »
Great...that is such a relief to know :)
So if I marry somebody who is beta thal minor I've 25% of inheriting thal major to the kids right?

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 10:16:50 PM »
So I'm HbD/B+ thal intermedia or HbD/B thal minor?
Also, my fiance has B+/B thal minor?
Can that create a problem?
Also any good suggestions how to avoid beta thal major from getting into the child? like early diagnosis and abortion? I found CVS can be done at 10-12 weeks of pregnancy...anything faster than that?

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 12:29:55 AM »
OK, after investigating further, it looks like you must carry HbD and a beta+, as you do have a small amount of HbA. If you carried only the HbD, your HbA level would be much higher.
The significance of this is that if you pass on HbD and your partner passes on beta thal, the child would probably be similar to you. However, if you pass on the beta thal trait and the partner also passes on the beta trait, the child could inherit both and be thal intermedia to major, depending on how severe the deletions involved are. If both are beta+, intermedia would be more likely.

CVS is the earliest detection method. The only method to ensure the child is thal-free would be PGD and IVF.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 02:07:02 AM »
Cool...Thanks a lot :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk