Joint Pains

• 11 Replies

Offline Fadd

• Fadd
Joint Pains
« on: December 17, 2010, 12:05:17 PM »
From the last month i have been feeling a slight pain in my left wrist joint. It was not even noticeable sometimes. But for the last two weeks that developed into more severe one and now i am having more pain in moving my wrist upwards or downwards.. my doctor has suggested me an X-Ray which i am going to get done by tomorrow and also my ferritin on this 20th. My last ferritin was 1980. What could be the possible reasons for this pain in joint. i am also taking calcium on regular basis and my calcium levels are always within normal range. Had it been the toxicity of ferriprox or desferal, it would have been in other joints too.... i guess.. Should i go for any other tests?

Fouad
Fadd

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
Re: Joint Pains
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 06:16:18 AM »
Fouad,

I hope that the pain subsides soon. Could you have a hairline fracture on your wrist?  I think that the xray will help.  Is there any swelling on the joint?  It could also be carpal tunnel perhaps?  Do you write a lot with that hand? 

Best,

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Madhavi

• Mohanish....a divine blessing!
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 03:28:33 AM »
Fouad,

Please update us about the xray reports...hope you are better soon.....

Madhavi
Love and luck to all...

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 07:46:54 AM »
Madhavi,

Thank you so much for your kind words.  I am learning so much from wonderful people like you.  The bravery and strength you displayed while Mo went through his transplant was inspiring to us all.  We all went through that amazing experience with you and grew so much from it - thinking of you and praying for the best outcome each day.  :hugfriend :hugfriend Thank you for your faith in me  :hugfriend

I would never use a port for lil A but very frequently other parents ask me if they should because their doctors are pushing them to do so.  My answer is always no because of my own situation and experience - that is why I wanted to get other perspectives.  Lena, your response is very helpful because you have done this for so long and you have handled it amazingly well.

Sharmin

Sharmin

Offline Fadd

• Fadd
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 09:03:46 AM »
Madhavi, Sharmin.

Got done with the Xray last night and now waiting for Monday to consult the doctor. Although, I don't write with this hand I have been in a practise to sleep with my this hand under the pillow....
Will keep you guys posted.

Thanks and Love.

Fouad
Fadd

Offline Fadd

• Fadd
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 03:22:14 PM »
Today i went to Fatimid Foundation for transfusion and also consulted the doctor, physiotherapist at the center, who after taking the history told me that I must have got my vein punctured in the transfusion process and there may be a clot which might be causing a problem now, and that it will reside with the passage of time and there is nothing to worry about. She also did the ultrasonic therapy (the one which emits the sound waves), I don't know what this process is exactly called :huh.
About the X ray, she has said that its all clear... I am also supposed to visit her tomorrow too..

Fouad
Fadd

Offline Bobby

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 06:25:15 PM »
Wow Fouad,

I am experiencing pain in my left wrist also. My ferritin is now below 800 after a period of Exjade. At first I thought I injured it excercising, but the symtoms are awfully close to those of carpal tunnel. I am a software engineer and type alot, even when not working. It only hurts when I put pressure on it. I am going to have it looked at by a Dr soon.

Offline Fadd

• Fadd
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2010, 09:31:40 AM »
@ Boddy: Carpel Tunnel is a critical thing. Do consult the doctor ASAP as this is quite problematic...
Also the nature of your work puts a lot of pressure on your work.. Do tell about your discussion with the doctor.

Fouad
Fadd

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 02:15:02 PM »
I have been having really bad pain in my joints mostly my knees & elbows to the point of I ask my wife to bend my legs backwards like the way a birds legs bend to help with the pain.

My doc put me on feldene/proxicam for the joint pain but it's not helping.

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 04:15:03 PM »
Dear All,

I would like to add some more reasons for joint pains please see to this ::

Joint pains have been reported in 10-30% of patients receiving deferiprone. These usually involve knees, ankles, elbows, hip and the lower back. In a few patients the small joints of the hands and feet have been involved. In some patients swelling of the joints with effusion has been seen. The exact mechanism of this arthropathy is not known, but it appears to be by a mechanism other than immunological. Joint pains have been seen more commonly in patients with a higher serum ferritin and those on higher dose of deferiprone. These may be related to deposition of iron in the joints (due to the chelation process) leading to an inflammatory reaction in the joints. If joint pains occur, it may be necessary to stop the drug for a short while or reduce the dosage. The joint pains usually disappear and the drug may be restarted at lower doses. Concomitant use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as ibrupofen or diclofenac may be used to control the pain. In a few patients however, joint pains may recur on restarting the drug and thus such patients may be unable to tolerate the drug (See also Patient Monitoring).

For more details refer site
http://www.ciplamyanmar.com/index.html

May be if you are not taking defriprone (Cipla Kelfer) then might be possible that other chelators which you use also have some side effects...I  refer you to do some research on sideeffects caused by your chelators(if any).

Regards
Ajay

Offline Rehman

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 05:29:34 PM »
Asalam Alykum  Fouad.

Aj se 8 months pehlee mujee bhi isetara Joints pain ta or bohut sakht pain ta phir me doctot ke pas gaya bohut pain killer medice le and xray be keya lekan sab clear ta. phir me thalassemia spatiost Dr Tahir sahab ke pas gaya osne muje Dexa scane karwaya or muje osteporosis daignos keya to tab se osteoporosis ke dawaya le raha ho or teek ho exercise be karta ho. or sal me ek dafa har thalassemia patient ko dexa scane zaror he . i think ke ye ab ke madat karee dexa scane.
THALASSEMIA  MAJOR.

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 01:12:26 PM »
Asalam Alykum  Fouad.

Aj se 8 months pehlee mujee bhi isetara Joints pain ta or bohut sakht pain ta phir me doctot ke pas gaya bohut pain killer medice le and xray be keya lekan sab clear ta. phir me thalassemia spatiost Dr Tahir sahab ke pas gaya osne muje Dexa scane karwaya or muje osteporosis daignos keya to tab se osteoporosis ke dawaya le raha ho or teek ho exercise be karta ho. or sal me ek dafa har thalassemia patient ko dexa scane zaror he . i think ke ye ab ke madat karee dexa scane.

Dear your info is helpful,but plz try to post it in english :)
^*^Xaini^*^

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk