Heart MRIs - How often are they done?

• 2 Replies

Offline nick

Heart MRIs - How often are they done?
« on: August 21, 2011, 02:15:21 PM »
Hi everyone,

I am curious how often a Cardio MRI check should be done.  I have only had one done in my life  :( about five years ago at the Brompton in London.  I have asked my cardiologist (when I get to see one!!) when I should have a MRI again but constantly get told its under review.  I am due to see him or one of his underlings (as always the case!) again in September.  My current ferritin is around 900 with exjade and I am transfused five weekly which some fellow thals would think is an exception  :biggrin .

Any responses much appreciated.

Nick from rainy England.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Heart MRIs - How often are they done?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 03:12:01 PM »
Hi Nick,

Once per year for a T2* scan is recommended. The only reason they do not want to do annual scans is cost. Ferritin is not an accurate measurement of iron load, so the heart scan is necessary.

http://www.thalassemia.org/updates/CompCare3.pdf

Cardiac Evaluation
The following tests should be performed at least once per year.
…Assessment by a cardiologist knowledgeable in problems of iron overload and thalassemia. 
…Echocardiogram (with assessment of tricuspid regurgitant jet velocity after age 10 to diagnose pulmonary
hypertension, and left ventricular ejection fraction to diagnose cardiomyopathy. 
Functional MRI of heart and MUGA scanning are useful assessments)
…T2* MRI of heart for cardiac iron
…24 Hour Holter Monitor or event recorder to diagnose cardiac arrhythmia (after age 12)
…ECG (electrocardiogram)
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline nick

Re: Heart MRIs - How often are they done?
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 08:32:47 PM »
Many thanks Andy.  I thought it should be done annually, I guess it's NHS cutbacks! But I will persist with asking for another one to be done even if I have to travel to London, its my life not theirs.  Also out of curiosity, do you know of any thals that have had the MRI with a portacath.  Five years ago, I never had one  :(

Kind regards,

Nick

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk