First Hematologist Appointment

• 6 Replies
First Hematologist Appointment
« on: January 23, 2012, 04:28:50 PM »
Hi Everyone!

After procrastinating for what feels like forever, I finally made a hematologist appointment for Friday. Can anyone give me some guidance regarding which tests to request? I suspect that I am anemic in addition to being Thal minor, so I am going to request that a full iron study be done. Anything else? Like so many other Thal minors I am tired ALL THE TIME.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Doctor Dani

P.S. I'm a psychologist, not an MD. Hence my questions!

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: First Hematologist Appointment
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 04:46:26 PM »
If you are tired all the time, get your vitamin D level checked. It is the most common deficiency. Tiredness, fatigue and depression are all tied to D deficiency, and the immune system may also suffer as a result.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 08:04:35 PM »
Thanks Andy! Should I have anything else checked? I was diagnosed as a thal minor years ago and don't have any of that old paperwork.

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 09:22:12 PM »
The hematologist may want to test for thal, just to have a better understanding of your health as a whole. Do you know if it's alpha or beta thal? The other tests that might be considered would be folate and B-12 levels, because both can cause anemia.
Andy

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 12:31:55 AM »
I don't remember them telling me, but the hematologist my brother saw diagnosed him as beta thal minor, so I assume it's the same. Would testing me again require a hemoglobin electrophoresis?

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 04:37:34 PM »
Yes, it would require hemoglobin electrophoresis. I would advise it for your own use. The percentages of the three hemoglobins does give some valuable information.
Andy

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 03:36:03 PM »
Well, I went to the hematologist on Friday and I loved him! He was completely open-minded to the idea that Thal minors DO have symptoms. He ran the CBC in his office and my hemoglobin was a 10.2. He said that alone could be the reason for my fatigue. He sent the rest of my blood out to the lab (hemoglobin electrophoresis, full iron panel, vitamin D, folate, etc.) and I should have the results on Wednesday.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk