Lymph glands?

• 13 Replies

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
Lymph glands?
« on: April 27, 2012, 06:01:08 AM »
Hi,

I wanted to ask if this is actually a lymphatic problem. At early start of 2010, January, suddenly in evening I developed some candy shaped small circle tubes which are still today.

I went to doc at that time for diagnoses and they probably told they were lymphs. They are still present today at; Under my arms, near the left neck and very small on back side of my head and a little lower regions.

Is there any cure for this? I personally find no cure for this but I soon am thinking to visit doc soon.

Please give me any advice.
Every child is special.

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
Re: Lymph glands?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 07:54:32 PM »
Andy, anything you know of about this?

-Pratik.
Every child is special.

Offline Answers4N

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 11:53:17 PM »
Hi Pratik,

Our family is not directly affected by Thal-Major, but I thought I could share maybe some general info about lymph glands & swelling. My little girl recently had 2 swollen lymph occipital glands on the back of her head, she has also had the same ones in the side of her neck become quite apparent off and on for the last year and a half. She had her tonsils and adenoids removed about a year ago. While that helped the swelling in her throat it did nothing for the same nodes that keep swelling. I was concerned. Her new pediatrician told us that in children nodes can be very reactive, also that in people who are very thin even as adults they can be very prominent and noticeable. We are still watching hers, if they do not go down or are gone in a couple more weeks they will do further more aggressive testing on them.

I would be persistent in finding an answer to the swelling, being a Thal-Major and receiving transfusions, your doctor may want out rule more serious causes other than allergies, reactions to viruses, etc.

Hope you are well and that they go down soon!

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 02:36:40 AM »
I think Sarah nailed it on the head when she mentioned transfusions. It is likely a reaction to the transfusion itself. Do they become less noticeable if you take an antihistamine like Benadryl?
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 06:08:09 AM »
Hi Answers4N,

I am concerned too, isn't there any medicine or such a thing for it? I have it now for almost 2 and half years and I am really fed up of it. I am not sure what caused that, whether iron overload, blood transfusion reaction or what but heck, they are not leaving my body and I really don't like them.

On one fine day of 23rd January, recently in evening I feel like little sneezing and there a candy shaped structure developed under my chin on left side. I though, oh, it would go after a day, but no, it did not. Then gradually, they came under my arms & 2 small ones on left and right behind my head. I really need to find a cure for this. :(

Andy,

Could you link me to what Sarah posted? What she meant? And no  I never took Benadryl but I tried and still take antibiotics like Augmentin (650mg) and Azithral (500mg) but it does not effect.

Please could you suggest anything for this?

-Pratik.
Every child is special.

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 02:18:43 AM »
Pratik,

Benadryl is a common antihistamine. The generic name is Diphenhydramine. It is often used to help prevent allergic reactions during transfusion. It's commonly used for sinus allergies and head cold symptoms. You should be able to find it at a chemist. What I meant about what Sarah said was when she mentioned transfusions, because a reaction to blood is one of the more likely explanations for the swollen lymph glands. Try Benadryl and see if they lessen at all.
Andy

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 05:56:32 AM »
Andy,

Yes I know Benadryl, its easily available here. I am little skeptical taking it because as far as I believe, its sweet in taste and I have diabetes.

Still should I try it?

And if I could borrow your sometime if you don't mind, could you research any cure for this? Of course, if you are free.  :hugfriend

-Pratik.
Every child is special.

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 02:19:31 PM »
You're thinking of benadryl syrup. The drug is also available as capsules or tablets and contains no sweetener.
Andy

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 07:57:47 PM »
Ah, okay. I'll try it, as well. But I don't think it'd permanently solve my problem.
Every child is special.

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 09:34:15 PM »
If you do get some relief, it will tell you that the cause is transfusions. It would be good to establish a cause if you want to find a remedy.
Andy

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 10:38:23 AM »
Okay Andy, I would try to buy some today if possible.

Thanks, I'll keep this topic updated.
Every child is special.

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 06:59:44 AM »
I feel very restless now as I read in deep about lymph nodes swelling:

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/swollen-lymph-nodes-topic-overview
http://www.webmd.com/hw-popup/lymphoma

I have swollen lymph nodes in armpits, then two at each side of neck under the jaw, and two right behind the two earns over the back side of head.

Andy, please can you suggest something as this is what makes me restless and worry a lot.

-P.

Hi Pratik,

Our family is not directly affected by Thal-Major, but I thought I could share maybe some general info about lymph glands & swelling. My little girl recently had 2 swollen lymph occipital glands on the back of her head, she has also had the same ones in the side of her neck become quite apparent off and on for the last year and a half. She had her tonsils and adenoids removed about a year ago. While that helped the swelling in her throat it did nothing for the same nodes that keep swelling. I was concerned. Her new pediatrician told us that in children nodes can be very reactive, also that in people who are very thin even as adults they can be very prominent and noticeable. We are still watching hers, if they do not go down or are gone in a couple more weeks they will do further more aggressive testing on them.

I would be persistent in finding an answer to the swelling, being a Thal-Major and receiving transfusions, your doctor may want out rule more serious causes other than allergies, reactions to viruses, etc.

Hope you are well and that they go down soon!

Have you found out anything yet for your little one, Answers4N?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 07:17:58 AM by Pratik »
Every child is special.

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 05:16:40 PM »
Andy,

I have started to worry when I saw this and other things which I linked in above past posts:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16369971

Please suggest me something!

-P.
Every child is special.

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 10:55:17 PM »
Pratik,

Many things cause swollen lymph nodes, so don't jump to any conclusions. Do you have other symptoms? In the case mentioned in the article, which can be seen in full at http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ajh.20463/pdf the patient had a sudden change in blood requirements, along with a low grade fever and fatigue. If you are concerned, you should discuss it with your doctor.
Andy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk