Has Anyone ever tried Ayurveda or accupressture

• 18 Replies
Re: Has Anyone ever tried Ayurveda or accupressture
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 06:08:13 PM »
I wanted to know ayurveda can help in management of thal. I have been told that in case of enlargement of spleen there are ayurvedic medicines that can help reduce the size. Do you think that is possible.

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2012, 06:28:27 PM »
Not sure about spleen but I think turmeric (Haldi/Haldar) definitely helps for liver and bringing SGPT down, and I feel it may add a slight relief to spleen as well (discomfort wise). Turmeric is known for many cures, I definitely recommend it.

I take it twice a week with little honey.

-P.
Every child is special.

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2012, 09:55:38 AM »
Which turmeric... Raw or dried powder

Offline Poirot

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2012, 08:01:51 AM »
Hi, Is there anyone else also who can comment on ayurveda or accupressure? Would be grateful for any information. Thank you again.

I would like to add a strong word of caution for those wishing to try out Ayurvedic or Unani medicine for treating thal - first thing to keep in mind is that there are n number of quacks around preying on the gullible - the foundation of ayurveda itself is not compatible with that of modern knowledge about how the body works. Closest you can compare is the Greek system of "humours", which was probably cross-pollinated by knowledge of ayurveda. Given that Ayurvedic knowledge bases does not even recognise genes as the foundation of our characteristics, you have to wonder about how good the "treatment" would be.

Second thing to keep in mind is that most, over 95% of these "medicines", are not tested for components by the FDA nor are they registered - typically, most of these concoctions have high concentrations of heavy metals such as iron, chromium, and even mercury. These metals are toxic for your body - they will damage your kidneys and potentially your liver. You do not know what you are ingesting, which is really the first rule of a healthy body that anyone should follow.

I have first hand knowledge of a neighbour who went to a "renowned" ayurvedic practitioner to cure an abscess in his leg that was not healing fully. Allopathic doctors were treating the wound with anti-bacterial and anti-fungal medicines and draining the wound, but it was not healing completely. So, he goes to this ayurvedic guy, who actually "cures" the wound completely - ie the wound gets closed, no new pus formation and new skin grows to cover the place entirely. Great. 3 months later, both his kidneys fail and doctors trace the failure to the toxins injected into his body as part of the treatment of his leg. He had to go on regular dialysis for the past 3+ years, and passed away in September with multiple organ failure. He was 65 years old.

So, best case scenario - you lose a bunch of money. Worst case - .......

Poirot

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk