A minor advantage

• 20 Replies

Offline jzd24

Re: A minor advantage
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2006, 02:45:22 PM »
Said,
     I know we don't want to portray thal as some kind of freaky thing, but hopefully we could have an informational part as well. The changes in the person could be more subtle and it could be more like a mystery. I also think a nonfiction documentary would be good.
Christine,
     What great connections! Wish we could get someone to do something. A documentary would be easy - just interview the people on this site, (Andy can narrate), go to the places where thal is very prevalent, etc. Just trying to think of ways to get exposure and raise money. Unfortunately it takes money to get money.   Take care, Jean

Offline namitha

• Drop of Life!
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2006, 02:42:13 PM »
Hi,

Sajid, this is pretty worrying. Are you sure it was Malaria? Because thals are really immune to malaria as Danielle has explained why.

I think it is a good idea to have a talk show like thal chat or dial a thal. The world should know about our struggles and experiences. It would be good awareness.

Take care.

Regards,
Namitha
You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.

Max Ehrmann's Desiderata

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2006, 04:03:22 PM »
Hi Namitha,

What can I say? They were doctors who diagnosed me Malaria after seeing the blood test. This shows how much educated our doctors are :wink If they knew that Thals. can't have Malaria they would have investigated further. This only means that either I am not a Thal. and having Malaria proves it. Maybe I have some other (Auto-immune)disease that keeps me running even in the lowest scariest blood counts. Or I have Thal. and the doctors are just dumb that they have diagnosed Malaria for something else :grin but somehow the Malaria medicine course worked out!!

Like I said; I really have a twisted physique!!!

Take care, Peace!
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2006, 06:17:35 PM »
To clear up some misconceptions about thal and malaria I have posted a new topic at http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php?topic=474.msg3506#msg3506

Thals do get malaria but it is usually much less severe than what non-thals expereince.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline namitha

• Drop of Life!
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2006, 12:34:56 PM »
Hi Andy,

Thanx for the post. Confusion cleared. Sajid, you are normal man! Even thals can get malaria  :biggrin

Regards,
Namitha
You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.

Max Ehrmann's Desiderata

Offline T @ r ! Q

• Beta Thal Major
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2006, 04:35:36 PM »
Hi,
Just to let you know that i have suffered three times from Malaria, recently last september, and last one brought lots of complications with it and i got many TranX during those days and they didn't even moved my Hb a bit, doctor said that i might have created Anti-bodies against RBC. I got tested for it and it result was negative. But after the test my TranX started working fine.

FYI that was my first ever hospitalization and i got hospitalized for 15 days, no office for 1 and half month  :( .  I dont know how to feel about it (after reading Sajids stories  ???).

Take care,

Tariq.
Falling down is not defeat... Defeat is when you refuse to get up...
The one who kneels to Allah, can standup to anything.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk