Travelling Thalassemia Patient

• 5 Replies

Offline Hewsauce

Travelling Thalassemia Patient
« on: January 15, 2013, 03:33:28 PM »
Hello everybody!

Since I was a child my dream was to travel the world! During the short travels that I did, I made friends who are on a trip of my dreams. Going to places halfway across the world, discovering new cultures, meeting new people from all walks of life. It was made clear to me that being a thalassemia major patient, I couldn't leave my beloved nurses for more than 1 month. I needed to be back before my hb dropped. It never stopped me from dreaming though. As I became older, it become clearer that nothing is impossible really.

Recently, I was reading in this forum about an Italian man who embarked on a Europe trip for 1 year!
Here's  the link:
http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php?topic=3877.0
:)

This really inspired me! Thalassemia patients are just normal people with a few inconveniences in their lives, which together we overcome.
So I went ahead and booked my flight ticket to Spain and clicked the return date in Paris 2 months after my arrival .
My best friend is doing an exchange program in Marseille. We talked about doing a mini Euro trip since we were kids and now we're actually planning our euro trip!

I really need though, some help for my transfusion. I only need 1 somewhere in Europe. Perhaps in France, Belgium, Netherlands or Germany. The most convenient country! Anyone, anywhere that can help me, feel free to reply!!
I would need to know:
- Where are you from and where would you recommend for a blood transfusion? :)
- How much would it cost for me (19 year old foreigner)?
- What are the procedures?

I arrive on the 26th of April and I would most probably need a transfusion around the 25-26-27th of May. No travel itinerary is set yet. I just need to make sure this is arranged first.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my mini essay!
May only better and better things happen in your lives.
Lots of love.

Everyday is amazing, if you want it to be.

Offline Laura

Re: Travelling Thalassemia Patient
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 12:04:40 PM »
Hello!

If you are around Spain maybe you could try near Barcelona. I don't think it is going to be difficult for you. The only thing is that, since you are not European, I don't know if you'll have to pay for transfusion. I'll try to ask about it but maybe you could ask to the Spanish Embassy in your country.

I know Giannfranco, the Italian guy, had some problems in France because he needed to pay a lot of money so he finally came to Girona in Spain.

I'll tell you if I can get the information.

Kisses and good luck!

Laura.
The most important thing in life is not what you achieve but the fact of fighting for it.

Offline Hewsauce

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 07:16:42 PM »
Hello! :)

I will be around Spain! That's one stop :D
Just that it is quite early on my trip, my flight will arrive in Barcelona ^.^
Hence, good blood fighting power!

Updates on my research:
1. France is indeed a very expensive country to get blood transfusions. I got quoted 1300 Euros for one session   :faint
Cheaper to fly back to Kuala Lumpur and return to europe xD

2.Brussels in Belgium is also quite pricey, around 400 Euros for ones session. A lot better than France though!

andddd no.3, my best option so far

3. Hamburg, Germany! Bless Germany. For 2 packets of blood and the lab fees they will be charging 250 Euros.
I think I'm probably going to go for that option. It seems to be my best choice so far. :woot

Thank you so much for your help Laura!!
 :stars

Loves.
Everyday is amazing, if you want it to be.

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 07:46:33 PM »
Best of luck Hew. :)

Have a great tour. Happy journey!

-P.
Every child is special.

Offline Laura

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 09:24:52 AM »
Have a good trip!!!
The most important thing in life is not what you achieve but the fact of fighting for it.

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 12:26:56 PM »
Hi,

i have some addresses for England

the witthington hospital
Magdala Ave, City of London, Greater London N19 5NF
PH 00442072885225

MUNICH

Hämato-Onkologie
Bäckerstraße 4
D-81241 München Pasing
Telefon
Telefax089 - 82 99 660
089 - 82 12 771
praxis@onkologie-pasing.de
www.onkologie-pasing.de

dr Schmidt speaks good english

Stuttgart

(am Karl-Olga-Krankenhaus)
Schwarenbergtr. 7
70190 Stuttgart
Telefon 0049 711 2 57 67 47

Not sure how it works money wise but i am sure if you get in contact with them they can give you the information that you need.

hope this help you

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk