Planning to try Hydroxyurea. Have few questions.

• 17 Replies

Offline Poirot

Re: Planning to try Hydroxyurea. Have few questions.
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2014, 06:48:41 AM »
This trial done on Hydroxyurea in B thals..

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21602718

I just saw this link - this study claims astounding success rates with using Hydroxyurea (HU) - was this study independently or peer reviewed?

I am curious as to why this has not garnered more publicity as a viable means of treatment? All reputed haematologists are of the same opinion - that HU is useless except in the case of *some* Thal intermedias - it does even work with all intermedias.

Thx

Offline JV

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2014, 03:28:58 PM »
Results look very good but you will never hear about them from any Thal center. I think they would rather keep patients on a transfusion schedule and for one reason only....MONEY

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2014, 01:48:53 AM »
There are studies going back into the 1990's showing similar results with hydroxyurea. Most of these studies are from Algeria and Iran, so it may be that specific genotypes found in those countries respond better than with other genotypes. The context in all these studies has to be framed in terms of what they are attempting and that is to find low cost alternatives in countries where proper care for thals is not economically feasible. A poorer quality of life may be had than if the patients transfused, but this is a cost that is much more affordable than the transfusion/chelation regimens.

I feel it is much more useful for intermedia patients than for majors.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk