Advice needed for blood drive

• 3 Replies

Offline Christine Mary

• Mother of Lauryn, who has Thal Major
Advice needed for blood drive
« on: November 10, 2006, 10:38:57 PM »
Hi everybody,

I have pretty exciting news!!!! I work for a grocery store,Bashas. I am a Pharmacy technician (obviously in the pharmacy  :rotfl). The owner of the grocery chain,Eddie Basha, is very big in the community here in Arizona. Anyway, I was thinking of how I've written everyone possible to raise awareness on thal,donations etc... And then it dawned on me! I called the public relations dept at Bashas, and explained Lauryns situation. I proposed the idea of them sponsoring a blood drive and they loved the idea! I said it would be great publicity for Bashas, and not only can we accumulate blood, but try to raise money for research. They said they were also going to possibly contact the media to cover the event! Now, I know there are some kinks to work out, as far as going down the corporate ladder to get approval, but it looks like it may work!

Andy,

The blood that is collected from this drive, can Red Cross send it to Phoenix Childrens Hospital at my request? Do you think someone from CAF will/cana represent the foundation at this event? Do I need there permission if I mention their cause? Who should I talk to? Any advice or guidance from anyone with expierience regarding drives/fundraisers, is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Christine

Lauryn's Mom

Offline Zadkhi

• Hemoglobin H Disease
  • creativity is my lifeblood
Re: Advice needed for blood drive
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 12:23:25 AM »
I'm definitely no expert at any of this, but I remember when I helped to organize non-profit fundraisers at my school, we had to get in contact with the organizations that we were supporting to let them know what we were doing.  In return, we were given literature and other odds and ends to hand out to help promote awareness and we did have a rep come and visit us at the event.

I'll bet that if you get in touch with the CAF and let them know what you want to do, you'll be able to find out more exact information.  I'll bet they'll even help you organize this event, too!

Please keep us updated on this!

I'd love to know what fruits bloom from your labor of love.

:)

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 03:23:09 AM »
Hi Christine,

You can find out how to sponsor a blood drive at
http://www.givelife2.org/sponsor/default.asp

80% of blood donations made through the Red Cross are made at blood drives rather than fixed donor centers...If you or your organization is interested in becoming a blood drive sponsor, please call 1-800-GIVE LIFE (1-800-448-3543) for details.

I think it's also a great idea to get CAF involved.
The national organization can be contacted at

Cooley's Anemia Foundation
330 Seventh Avenue, #900
New York, NY 10001
(800)522-7222
Fax: 212-279-5999

Kathleen mentioned that there is now a local chapter in Phoenix. They may wish to know about this and help out if they can.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 07:11:45 AM »
Hi Christine!

That's a wonderful idea for spreading the awareness among people.

Great job! :thumbsup

Keep it up!

Take care, Peace!
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk