Hearing Test

• 25 Replies
Hearing Test
« on: November 10, 2007, 01:00:37 AM »
Hello Friends

This is an urgent message, we recieved a call from the hospital today regarding the results of hearing test. Somehow my daughter failed the high point test (whatever that means). We are advised to stop Desferal for one month and redo the test after month. In accurate words her high point came low than previuosly recorded.

Doctors are not 100% sure if this is Desferal related issue or its because she had cold or she is naturally like that.

Has anyone experienced this situation before. Comments are welcome.

PS. We will not be able to access the internet starting November 11 to December 7.

Thank You.
Regards.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Hearing Test
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 02:43:40 AM »
Hearing loss is a known long term side effect of desferal.  If it is found to be related to desferal use, it does not necessarily mean that she needs to discontinue desferal, but 4 weeks off desferal is the standard treatment and diagnosis tool. The doctor is referring to her ability to hear high frequency sounds as being below normal.

From http://www.jpho-online.com/pt/re/jpho/abstract.00043426-200512000-00004.htm;jsessionid=H1Fh814XfQRVf7hDgL2Ldb0DGwn2pGnjTtYDb3vLs4LHDTvw4vmb!1821113646!181195629!8091!-1

Auditory and Visual Toxicity During Deferoxamine Therapy in Transfusion-Dependent Patients.

Original Article
Journal of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology. 27(12):651-653, December 2005.
Chen, Shu-Huey MD *; Liang, Der-Cherng MD *; Lin, Hung-Ching MD, MSc +; Cheng, Shu-Yun BSc +; Chen, Lee-Jen MD ++; Liu, Hsi-Che MD *

Abstract:
Summary: Deferoxamine is a chelating agent that has extended the life expectancy of patients with thalassemia. In the 1980s, many investigators reported otologic and visual toxicity caused by deferoxamine. In July 1999 and 2 years later, the authors performed audiologic and ophthalmologic assessments in 30 transfusion-dependent patients receiving deferoxamine therapy (40-50 mg/kg per dose, subcutaneously for 8-10 hours, 4-7 days per week). In 1999, six patients (20%) had deferoxamine-related hearing impairment (>25 dB), all at high frequencies. Because the authors believed the benefits of chelation therapy outweighed the risk of ototoxicity, the dose of deferoxamine was not reduced. Two years later, the hearing impairment had not progressed in any of the patients. There was no association between ototoxicity and ferritin level. No patients had abnormalities of visual acuity or funduscopy in either 1999 or 2001. Based on this experience, deferoxamine at doses lower than 50 mg/kg/d was safe for the eyes and slightly toxic to the ears. The ototoxicity probably relates to individual susceptibility. Regular monitoring of auditory function and close follow-up of abnormal findings are recommended. According to this limited experience, reducing the dose or withdrawing deferoxamine might not be necessary if the hearing loss is stable in the face of ferritin levels above 2,000 ng/mL. Because of the relatively small patient numbers, more data are needed to confirm these conclusions.

(C) 2005 Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Inc.

After one month, the doctor will have a better idea of whether this is desferal related and may decide to temporarily reduce the dosage. It is possibly related to sinus problems. It has been a terrible year for allergies and sinus illnesses, so if she's been bothered by sinus, her hearing may be slightly affected. We've all had that plugged up feeling with colds where our hearing is slightly muffled, so let's hope that is all this is.

Don't worry too much on your holiday. This is a relatively common occurrence with desferal users and most of the time it is readily reversed. I hope all goes well on your trip.  :smiley
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 05:52:55 AM »
Hi C.F,

I really hope that it is cold related as I too am unable to enjoy the high notes in music when I have a severe cold and it sounds like everyone is talking through a telephone :biggrin
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 06:03:17 AM »
Hi Canadian Family,

I am sorry to hear about your daughter's hearing test and i hope everything will turn well,Good luck.

ZAINI.
^*^Xaini^*^

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 03:12:41 PM »
Thank you everyone for the prompt reply.

Andy,

The article was very helpful, as I understand the hearing loss is really an impairment at high frequency and not a total loss of hearing. The impairment can be reversed or not progressed. On that note, is there any seriousness attached to it and what is possible treatment if there is any.

Thank You.
Regards.

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 12:07:01 AM »
Hope everything goes well and turns to be nothing serious
Good luck
manal

Offline KHALIFA

• ONE FOR ALL AND ALL FOR ONE
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007, 04:20:48 AM »
 ???  actually i hear a bout desferal cause some problem in the hearing   :huh but i used to give my son high dose of desferal to reduce the lever fibroses i remember i gave him desferal everyday for 20 houres just relax for 4 houres that all and he still his hearing better than the rabit ... i hope it's kind of comon cold and it will go AMEEN ..
                                     khalifa
                             state of kuwait
                       one for all and all for one
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 11:08:55 PM by KHALIFA »
RED_PILOT

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007, 11:30:45 AM »
Thank you all for the kind words.

Regards.

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 12:46:56 AM »
Usually any hearing loss is readily reversible by stopping desferal for awhile. When there is fear of long term damage, it may result in the use of a different chelator. This should be considered by all thals over time. The consensus among the top doctors is that thal patients will do better if they use more than one chelator in their lifetimes, as this will help minimize the long term side effects of these drugs.
Andy

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 10:06:27 AM »
Hello All,

We are back from the vacations and my daughter is off the Desferal for four weeks now. I am going for a hearing test today. Will update soon.

Regards
Regards.

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2007, 01:26:32 PM »
Hi,

Hope you had a great vacation,wishing you luck for the hearing test. :goodluck

ZAINI.
^*^Xaini^*^

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2007, 08:10:23 PM »
Thank you Zaini.

Freinds,

As it turned out my daughter again failed the test and she is ordered to be off of desferal for another one month.

She is starting the exjade in January, as she is eligible due to her sensitivity attached with desferal. My daughter is four and a half year old and she is the youngest to start the exjade. Doctor did warned us about some kidney problems associated with exjade and they will be running the test in January and going forward to keep them updated.

Lets cross the fingers and see what unfolds next.

Regards

Regards.

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2007, 08:29:04 PM »
Exjade is being used with children as young as 2 in the US, so it does have some record of success with that age group. She will need to be checked regularly to test creatinine levels, which would indicate the problems in the kidneys that sometimes occur using Exjade. However, experience has shown that most of the patients having kidney problems with Exjade had some pre-exisiting kidney problem. At her young age, it is unlikely that she has had any prior kidney problems. As long as she is regularly monitored, she should be fine on Exjade. I am sure she will enjoy being liberated from the pump.
Andy

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2007, 08:20:16 AM »
Hi C.F!

Keep hopes high! I hope she's better off with Exjade and avoid Desferal totally. This will make her hearing better if the culprit is Desferal. Plus she will have face no more needles.

All the best.
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2007, 10:42:51 AM »
Thank you.

Andy,

It is nice to know that children as young as 2 have used Exjade. Indeed it is comforting for her and us to be liberated from pump.

Sajid,

I took your point "if the culprit is desferal". So far all signs point towards desferal. In early March her desferal dosage was increased to match her age. The hearing results were normal in March, October she started complaining about her ear "not working". Since November she has  successively failed two test.

Thanks
Regards.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk