Please Note - High Iron levels and Fever

• 3 Replies

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
Please Note - High Iron levels and Fever
« on: October 13, 2008, 05:29:50 AM »
If you have high liver iron concentration - above 2000 - you must always seek attention if you have a fever. 
Any fever MUST be reported to doctors immediately and treated!!  High iron levels can harbor infection in the body and hamper the body's ability to fight it.   

This point was repeatedly stressed to us in Oakland - to be cautious of fever.  Our son's iron levels at the time were 2880 - and these levels were considered high enough that we were told to be careful in case of fever. 

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline cherieann

Re: Please Note - High Iron levels and Fever
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 06:42:08 AM »
Thank you Sharmin for the info.
I was always told to my doctor know when I get fevers but I just thought that was because of the thalassaemia.
Now I know to be very careful especially while my ferritin is in the 3000+ region. :-\
I appreciate the info
Cherieann
Thalassaemia is a lifestyle not a burden.

Offline sahil

• Thal Major
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 12:58:02 PM »
Two more things to add-

1- Fever shouldn't be taken easily if a thal is splenectomized (removed spleen). Always consult your doc who has knowledge about thalassemia. Antibiotics should be brought into play on doctors prescription.

2- Fever & Diarrhea together are very dangerous. I've lost two of my thal friends in the same condition.

Please take care all and consult your doctor for every damn thing. Don't consume medicines on your own. And don't take anything lightly.

Life is precious!!

\peace/
My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 04:10:49 PM »
Thanks Sahil,

That information should help a lot of people! 
It is so great to have you back!!

Sharmin
Sharmin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk