Hives

• 20 Replies

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Hives
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2009, 11:53:30 PM »
They may have done genotype testing but it's not a given. Even if they do, they still need to match each unit of blood against the genotype of the patient for each transfusion if they plan to do this to avoid reactions.

Have they investigated if your daughter may be allergic to a preservative in the blood or even possibly something in the hospital, such as latex?
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2009, 03:06:11 AM »
Hello,

Are you using Leukocyte filter while transfusing?

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2009, 04:17:01 AM »
They may have done genotype testing but it's not a given. Even if they do, they still need to match each unit of blood against the genotype of the patient for each transfusion if they plan to do this to avoid reactions.

Have they investigated if your daughter may be allergic to a preservative in the blood or even possibly something in the hospital, such as latex?

Thanks Andy,
the doctor actually mentioned latex so I am sure the allergist will check her for that (we go to the allergist on March 25th), and I am actually going to mention the preservative in the blood - especially since they felt that there is something in the blood that caused the first reaction immediately after the transfusion. 

Thanks so much for the information, it will help me with the visit to the allergist.

Hello,

Are you using Leukocyte filter while transfusing?

Zaini.

Zaini -
I am not sure what a leukocyte filter is?  Could you let me know - and I will ask them?  I have never heard of it.  Thanks so much!

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2009, 04:36:22 AM »
Leukocyte filter is a filter that prevents the transfusing of white blood cells to the patient resulting in lowering any transfusion reaction

leukocyte reduction Leukocyte depletion, leukodepletion Transfusion medicine Any technique that ↓ WBCs in transfused blood products–eg, RBCs, platelets; LR to < 5 x 108 virtually eliminates nonhemolytic (immunologic) transfusion reactions. See Blood filters, Transfusion effect.

http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/leukocyte+reduction

manal

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2009, 07:34:05 AM »
Hi,

Do you see a round object or device attached with the tubing in these pics? This is a leukocyte reduction filter,and as Manal said it can help in preventing after transfusion reactions by stopping WBCs from getting transfused into the body.

Hope this helps.

Zaini.

^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Danny.H

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2014, 07:02:37 AM »
One more time I found more interesting information in an older post.one more time I hope everyone on this post have had some relief from your symptoms. I also have been suffering from some bumpy areas on my arms  I got more since last month .i don't think it is hives cause is quite different
Daniela

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk