pepsi and coke.Are they good for thal major patients

• 15 Replies
pepsi and coke.Are they good for thal major patients
« on: February 12, 2009, 10:15:29 PM »
whenever i go to any kind of party.my mother is always there to speak"Ahmed dont you dare to drink pepsi,its not good for you".i know that she is my mother and she just cant see me spoiling my self but i really love pepsi and whenever i get chance to drink it my mother is there :( so i dont want to hurt my mom by arguaing with her for pepsi without any reason rather i want to convience her with logical profs

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: pepsi and coke.Are they good for thal major patients
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 10:22:34 PM »
Well, if a lot of sugar and rust dissolving phosphoric acid are your goals, then colas are great. Personally, I won't touch colas.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 03:11:12 AM »
Ahmed,

Being a thal,your body has to face a lot of stress anyway,so if you add pepsi or any kind of cola in your diet,it won't help your bones,thals are already subject to osteoporosis,and these colas won't let calcium reach it's destination i.e your bones,so you can imagine how hard it will be for your bones.There are alternatives like fresh juices and "Lassi"  :biggrin Lassi being a dairy product is full of calcium,enjoy it  :wink .

Zaini.

P.S It's not only thals,colas are not good for anyone.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Dori

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 06:56:56 PM »
I have heard that coke can stop the nausea. I would say: transform it into a thing you will drink once when you are ill?  :dunno

Offline Zaini

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 07:01:27 PM »
Dore ,

Have you tried fennel seeds or cumin seeds for nausea?

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Dori

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 07:16:40 PM »
Dore ,

Have you tried fennel seeds or cumin seeds for nausea?

Zaini.

Bonne soir Zaini, I do not like cumin so I wont give that a try. I have heard of fennel seeds, but I dont think I have ever tried. How is it taken? Do you take a tea spoon of fennel seeds?

Offline Zaini

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 07:23:59 PM »
Dore,

Its a good thing you don't like cumin,because i just read on wikipedia that they are a good source of iron  :huh .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumin

As for fennel,yes you can chew them,and you can also make fennel tea.

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 07:44:57 PM »
The amount of iron in cumin is misleading on the chart found in Wikipedia (I refuse to use this as a source as information can be posted by anyone and plenty of inaccurate information is available here). It refers to how much iron is in 100 grams! That would be a huge amount of cumin seeds. One teaspoon of cumin seeds contains only 1.39 mg iron.  See http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/ to find nutritional info on foods.
Andy

Offline Dori

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 09:57:17 PM »
Dore,

As for fennel,yes you can chew them,and you can also make fennel tea.

Zaini.

I am pretty sure I have made fennel seed tea in the past. Is it not also good for your bowels? During my teenage years I had pain every day and everyone was telling me that it was 'behind my ears' :mad Anyway, I will research for it!

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 11:13:46 PM »
One teaspoon of cumin seeds contains only 1.39 mg iron
Andy ,
buddy if you're gona say that 1mg is not a significant amount of iron then i want debate on it bcoze i dont agree to you on this , reason why i want debate is , here is my explaination behind my opinion ....
if i m not wrong
G   = gram ( 1000 = 1kg )
MG = Micro/mili gram ( 1000mg = 1g )
NG = Nano Gram ( 1000 ng = 1mg )

1mg = 1000ng and S.fe reports show's the results in Ng . my last Ferriting report that i update here on this forum was something around 2300 ng = 2.30 mg  .... if i take a meal that contain's 1mg iron , and half of that meal's iron got absorpt in my gut then my wat will be my ferritin ?
2800ng/2.80mg ....  soo i dont think that 1mg iron isnot a significant amount ...

" IRON A Complete guide " download the document from this thread to read more about iron ..
http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php?topic=2015.0
Many substances can reduce the amount of non-heme iron we absorb; these substances include tannins in coffee or tea, dairy, phytates (fiber), eggs and some types of chocolate. Calcium can impair the absorption of both non-heme and heme iron. Therefore if a person needs more iron, he or she should avoid these items to improve the amount of iron absorbed. But if a person has a problem of too much iron, he or she should use these items to help lower the amount of iron absorbed.

The greatest portion of iron in humans is in hemoglobin. Except in cases of great blood loss, pregnancy, or growth spurts, where larger amounts of iron are required, our bodies only need about 1 to 1.5 milligrams of iron per day to replace what is lost. Normal daily excretion of iron through urine, vaginal fluid, sweat, feces, and tears total about 1-1.5 milligrams, or the equivalent of what most of us require per day, to function normally.

(@ my under-standing) only non-thals need that amount of iron to be absorpted daily to replace what theylost , thals got alot of iron more than their needs , soo they dont need to take iron rich diet to replace losted iron ...
for more details read that document file ....

Best Regards
Take Care
Umair
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 11:41:06 PM »
Umair,

You routinely take in 10-20 mg daily of iron just from diet. 1 mg is not a high amount. You are confused because you are trying to take the unit of measure for serum ferritin and relate that to dietary intake. The amount you see in a ferritin test is how much ferritin (not iron) there is per ML of blood. There is no relation at all between the two. Serum ferritin doesn't even necessarily mean high iron, because illness can raise the ferritin level. And the iron in cumin seeds is non-heme iron which is not as readily absorbed as is heme iron. If you start looking at the amounts of iron in non-animal sources, you always need to remember that it is not easily absorbed. You will see that many foods that are really good for you also contain a small amount of iron. This should not concern anyone. Believe it or not, your body will still look for iron from your gut, no matter how iron overloaded you are, so you do need some iron intake from food. It is wise to watch the amount of highly absorbed heme iron you get, but most plant foods are safe.

Look at this page for some reference. http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/iron.asp  It compares the amount of iron in various foods.

Absorption of heme iron ranges from 15% to 35%, and is not significantly affected by diet [15]. In contrast, 2% to 20% of nonheme iron in plant foods such as rice, maize, black beans, soybeans and wheat is absorbed [16]. Nonheme iron absorption is significantly influenced by various food components
Andy

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 12:12:21 AM »
Thanx andy for clarifying it.
it cleared my cocerns , and its very much detailed reply ... thanx alot

Best Regards
Take Care
Umair
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline Zaini

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 03:45:44 AM »
Thanks for clarification Andy,I will bot use wikipedia anymore.

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline T @ r ! Q

• Beta Thal Major
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 10:39:54 AM »
Thanks for clarification Andy,I will bot use wikipedia anymore.

Zaini.

You can edit the contents of WikiPedia by registering. It will not edit immediately but it will report the correction to concerned people. So if you know something is incorrect there, you can participate to make Wiki a reliable web resource.  :smiley

Good to see you in form Umair buddy
Falling down is not defeat... Defeat is when you refuse to get up...
The one who kneels to Allah, can standup to anything.

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 04:58:17 PM »
Tariq Bro , hhaahahaha , Debate is the key to knowledge , that's why i love to debate untill i got conviced or i convince others ...  :grin :grin  :biggrin :grin :grin  you have to witness alot more threads like this , hehehehe  .....

Best Regards
Take Care
Umair

===========
Umair

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk