Tips to Enhance Your Life

• 6 Replies

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« on: April 18, 2009, 10:07:35 PM »
I came accross this on the CAF website.  I thought it may be helpful to our members:

http://www.thalassemia.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=106:tips-to-enhance-your-life&catid=1:latest-news

March 3, 2009 - CAF Social Worker Kathleen Durst shares some "Helpful Tips to Live By."
The way we think plays a big role in how we live and can really affect how a person deals with the challenges of thalassemia.  Thinking in a generally positive way can often help; thinking in a generally negative way can often make matters worse.

It’s normal for negative thoughts to get in the way of treating thalassemia.  Some signs of negative thinking include:

•   Relating everything to yourself, including continually comparing yourself to others. (Examples: “Why doesn’t he/she do it my way?” or “I wish I looked like him/her.”)
•   Thinking everything must be fair or equal.  (Example: “It’s easier for him/her to get good grades because he/she doesn’t spend so much time at the clinic.”)
•   Believing everything you feel must be true.  (Example: “I will never feel better.”)
•   Assuming your happiness depends on the actions of others and that if they would change, things would improve. (Example: “Weekends are so boring because he has to watch those football games.”)

What can you do to get back on track?

•   Write down negative thoughts when they enter your mind.  (“I can’t do anything right.”)  Ask friends or family to help by pointing out negative thoughts when you make them.

•   Analyze these thoughts to see if they are true.  (“Can I really not do anything right?”)  Look for actual evidence. 

•   Look at what you get out of saying this negative thought to yourself.  How does it help? (“Sometimes it makes people pay attention to me.”)  How does it hurt? (“It makes me afraid to try new things.”)

•   Develop positive statements that contradict the negative messages. (“Actually, I’m very good at....”)

My life enhancement program can help you to develop a lifestyle that you enjoy.  Call or email me   ( k.durst@cooleysanemia.org, 800-522-7222, x 202)
to talk about the things that get in your way.

Together we can make changes to enhance your life!

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
Re: Tips to Enhance Your Life
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 12:38:35 AM »
Thanks Sharmin for sharing, it is really helpful :hugfriend

manal

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 09:19:13 AM »
Thanks Sharmin, :hugfriend

Your posts are always helpful.

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 10:22:25 AM »
thanks for the effort posting here :rolleyes :hugfriend

Offline Ayesha

• Ayesha's Blog!
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 10:26:25 AM »
Thank you Sharmin..

I want you people to read my recent post on my blog and comment, I need your support guys..

ayesha.thalassemia.com.pk/2009/04/19/one-more-cause/ - link

Kindly do give me suggestion, comment, advice and support PLEASE
-Ayesha

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 11:01:26 AM »
Thanx Sharmin ,
for sharing such supper tips ,

Best Regards
Umair
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 03:22:56 PM »
Ayesha,

The family who did this,believe me it was totally their own loss,i know all this is hard and i can understand our social set up,such people are so lame they can't even take a challenge.And these doctors,i hate them,they don't even know what thalassemia is,they just go by the books,and in doing so,they don't know how negatively they effect some one's life.

Only solution to all this nonsense is awareness,awareness among the youth,these doctors have painted such a glum picture of thalassemia that people take it as a fatal disease,which is so not true,we have seen people living,marrying and having kids,i hope such people will open their eyes to truth.

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk