MEGA mix

• 4 Replies
MEGA mix
« on: June 06, 2009, 09:18:18 AM »
Hi guys,
           i would like to introduce my mega mix that i take it after one hour from taking exjade:
           it consists of:
            -teaspoon of nigellla oil
            -one big spoon of honey
            -a big glass of camel milk (it can be replaced by any other milk or yogurt)
            i mix all these with each other and drink them after i take my two daily resvratrol tablets.(as andy said that it is better to take resveratrol in oily media for better absorbtion(milk and nigella are oils and fats))
i would like to share opinion about my mix? is it good or bad.

Mohamed

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
Re: MEGA mix
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 12:05:57 PM »
Mohamed, this MEGA mix seems so good, but i advise you that you don't take any food that has calcium before and after exjade by 3 hours because Canadian Family were told that this can lead to phosphrous defiency (If i am not mistaken it was a study done in the Sick children hospital in Canada and novartis, please Canadian Family correct me if i am wrong.)

Actually, when i asked the doctors here about this information, they had no idea and told me that if this finding was known it should be published by Novartis worldwide. But i think it is better to play it safe and take your mix after exjade by at least 3 hours

manal

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 06:11:15 PM »
There is no mention at all of calcium in the Exjade prescribing information. It only says to take at least 30 minutes before eating. This is so it can move through the stomach without interacting with foods that may have some neutralizing effect on its effectiveness and this is only a precaution. I cannot find any precaution about taking calcium. I cannot find any evidence in any reports that Exjade chelates calcium in the body. Waiting 3 hours seems nearly impossible. That would almost necessitate skipping breakfast completely, and at the least would require that no calcium foods are taken with breakfast, which is not a sensible part of a balanced diet.

Here is a list of know interactions with Exjade.

http://www.hsa.gov.sg/publish/hsaportal/en/health_products_regulation/safety_information/safety-related_product/january-april_2008.html

Deferasirox (Exjade®, Novartis) Special warnings: Although uncommon, elevations of transaminases > 10Xs the upper limit of the normal range, suggestive of hepatitis, have been observed in clinical trials. Most post-marketing reports of hepatic failure in patients treated with Exjade® involved those with significant co-morbidities including liver cirrhosis & multi-organ failure; fatal outcomes reported in some of them.

Upper GI ulceration & haemorrhage have been reported in patients, including children & adolescents, receiving Exjade®. Promptly initiate additional evaluation & treatment if a serious GI adverse event is suspected. Exercise caution in patients who are taking Exjade® in combination with drugs that are ulcerogenic, such as NSAIDs, corticosteroids or oral bisphosphonates & in patients receiving anticoagulants.

Risk of toxicity of Exjade® may be increased when inappropriately high doses are given in patients with a low iron burden or with serum ferritin levels that are only slightly elevated.

Interactions: Study has shown that the concomitant administration of  Exjade® & midazolam, a CYP3A4 substrate, resulted in a decrease of midazolam exposure by 17%. Therefore, caution should be exercised when deferasirox is combined with substances metabolised through CYP3A4 e.g. ciclosporin, simvastatin, hormonal contraceptive agents.

Concomitant administration of Exjade® with drugs that have ulcerogenic potential, such as NSAIDs, corticosteroids or oral bisphosphonates & use of Exjade® in patients receiving anticoagulants may increase the risk of GI irritation.

ADRs: Optic neuritis, GI haemorrhage, gastric/duodenal ulcer, oesophagitis, renal tubulopathy (Fanconi's syndrome), hepatic failure.

Posology & method of administration: Decision to remove accumulated iron should be individualized based on anticipated clinical benefit & risks of chelation therapy.

Some notes I do want to make about this are that they mention liver enzyme levels of 10 times normal. We need to make note of this because people are overly concerned about levels that are barely above normal. Also, it is not a good choice to use Exjade in low ferritin conditions as what was recommended with Jos. As he reported, some dietary changes and IP6 made an immediate impact on his ferritin level. With transfusing thals, this is different because there is a constant source of new iron being added to the body, but for patients with minor incidental iron build up, Exjade should probably not be used, especially since we do know about the natural safe chelators like IP6 and green tea extract.

I would also appreciate if CF can clarify what they have been told about how long to wait after taking calcium before using Exjade and what is the reason.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 06:47:03 PM »
Hi Andy, Manal

Little Miss A and all the young patients at hospital for sick children, Toronto were specifically advised not to take any calcium rich food three hours before and three hours after taking the Exjade. There had been numerous cases of phosphorous deficiency in young kids who were on Exjade and were taking calcium closer to Exjade.

I know its difficult but not impossible. We had two sets of children who were taking Exjade either in the morning or evening. The kids taking the morning dose were having Exjade first thing in the morning and were allowed calcium rich foods after three hours and throughout the day. Kids who were taking Exjade in the evening (like Little Miss A) took milk with lunch at around 1:00pm, dose of Exjade around 4:00pm and they could take calcium rich food with dinner at 7:00pm.

The results for phosphorous gradually came back to normal for all. I am not aware of any scientific proof as to why but it was a precaution that was taken in Toronto and still going on.
Hope this helps.
Regards.

Offline erum minhas

• my lovely daughter
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 03:18:34 AM »
dear all
 i am very sorry as i am not agry with this opinion of taking calcium rich meals with an interval of three hours with exjade or asunra or desirox. as i know that in thalassaemia major due to multiple blood transfusions and iron over load, many glands get affected , the main gland(parathyroid) which regulate calcium metabolism is also affected resulting in low calcium and high phophorus due to this we give calcium carbonate to patients ,who is a phosphate binder and chelate phosphate from body so that calcium level increased .

erum minhas

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk