Who has NOT removed his/her spleen

• 4 Replies

Offline PositiveVibes

Who has NOT removed his/her spleen
« on: August 07, 2009, 11:24:03 PM »
Hi... I was reading all your posts about whether it is better to have splenectomy at early age or when it is needed because of the enlarged size and then I decided to make a new discussion.

Actually, I want to know how many people who have thalassemia major have NOT removed their spleen and what is their size (enlargement).

In fact, you know from my previous posts that this is a very important topic to me because I wish I can keep my spleen forever.  However, although having not enlarged spleen (last examined 6 months ago), I could not manage to keep my hb high in the recent years.

At my 3rd week it is always at about 8.5, which is rather low for me and what is even worse, I know that if u keep low levels of your hb, you help your spleen get large :(

Well... I just thought that it will be interested  to all of us to see how many patients have spleen and what they do in order to keep it; and of course, if you have any usufel informatin or advice about me

Thanks ! :wink

R. ;)
Rozitka

Offline maryo0m

• ---SPREAD UR WINGS AND FLY---
Re: Who has NOT removed his/her spleen
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 01:27:49 AM »
Hello Rozitka,

Im a thal major and I still have my spleen

and its not even enlarged thank god :D

what i do is always keep my Hb levels 10 and never less its always 10 or 11

best of luck and love,

mariam
------------Spread your wings and fly-----------

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 02:00:13 PM »
Hi Rozitka,

I am also a thal major and I still have my spleen.
But I know also facing a problem that my doctor advice me that i should remove my spleen.
cause my hb is always at 7-8 only when 4th week. But i wish to keep my spleen.
so i dun noe wat should i do now.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 08:17:08 PM »
I believe that it is best to not remove your spleen if it can be avoided.  Perhaps receiving smaller transfusions every couple of weeks can keep hg levels normal and avoid spleen enlargement.  It is important to keep hg levels close to 10 to prevent spleen from becoming enlarged. 

Certain supplements can prolong the lifespan of transfused red blood cells - such as L-carnitine + folic acid, wheat grass etc.  Perhaps that should be tried before removing the spleen. 

Also, antioxidants and nitric oxide in the blood will help with blood flow and removal of abnormal cells in the blood stream therefor decreasing the spleen's tendency to break down transfused red blood cells. 

Please see the vitamins and supplements section to determine which supplements are best to take,

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Waleed

• I'm not normal but Supernormal
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 02:01:04 PM »
I am 26 years old thal major.

Spleen is intact, its large but not causing problems.

Usually transfuse 2 units around 8.9-9.5 hb range and approximately get 2gm hb raised for each one blood bag. transfuse every 3 weeks. If hb is above 9.5 then transfuse 2 units but next transfusion after 4 weeks.
Waleed

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk