Vitamin E & Zinc for kids

• 15 Replies

Offline Bostonian_04

Vitamin E & Zinc for kids
« on: November 02, 2009, 04:35:39 PM »
Andy,

My daughter cannot chew or swallow....Is there any gummy for Vit E and Zinc? How mush Zinc and vit E should I give my 3 yr old who is close to 37 Lbs?

She is taking 1 IP6/day, 2 multivitamin which has combined 15 IU of Vit E and 2.2 mg Zinc. and 120 mg VitC when on full chelation. After coming back from NY conference, we certainly feel this much E and Zinc is not enough. Asking her hemo is useless as he thinks she does not need any suppliments as she should get it thru her food intake. with a finicky eater, relying on you for suggestions....
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ? - Plato

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
Re: Vitamin E & Zinc for kids
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 10:24:51 PM »
Hello Bostonian,

Your daughter can take from 100 to 200 mg of natural (Alpha-Tocopherol) vitamin E

Children 1-3 years 200 mg (300 IU)

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/vitamins/vitaminE/

As for the zinc, the normal for her age is 7mg, but doubling this amount will still be safe cause her body will deplete it so fast. Also i advise you to check the the zinc level at least twice a year. I do this with my son and find that if the dose is not doubled for his age, he really get deficient

hope this helps
manal

Offline Bostonian_04

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 03:49:50 PM »
Thanks Manal for your reply. For the link you sent me, these doses are safe max doses for kids, right? i still need to find Zinc gummy...Found VitE gummy on the web...it is Nutrition Now Vitamin E Gummy Chewables....if anyone else is also looking for VitE gummy for kids...

ANdy, hope you are feeling better now.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 04:01:08 PM »
Hi Bostonian,

I was definitely in rough shape the past few days and am now hoping the worst is past. This cold going around is a monster. It seems worse than the flu but it doesn't get the same press. My family members have been sick for over 5 weeks with it and the cough really roughs up the rib cage. I've just emerged from a night of the most disturbing dreams. Sometimes I don't know which is worse, the illness or the meds to treat it.

You might want to look for a liquid form of zinc, like this http://www.puritan.com/zinc-166/ionic-zinc-074954?NewPage=1
Of course, you would need to lower the required dose, but it makes it simple to add zinc without pills.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 04:18:27 PM »
Andy,

I hope that you feel better really soon, I also hope that your family gets over this cold soon too.  It sounds like you have had a pretty rough time.  Gosh, it's awful that the cold has persisted for 5 weeks in your family! 

Before starting lil A on the chewable Osteocare (which has Zinc 10mg & copper 2mg),  I was giving him a Zinc-Copper Balance supplement (containing Zinc 15mg & copper 2mg).  Once I started the chewable Osteocare, I discontinued the Zinc-Copper Balance supplement.    Can I give him both of these supplements together - which would add up to Zinc 25mg & Copper 3mg  ?

Feel better soon  :getwell

Thanks,

Sharmin

Sharmin

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 04:32:30 PM »
Sharmin,

The upper tolerable limit of copper for a child little A's age is 5 mg daily, so this is within range.
Andy

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 04:40:26 PM »
Thanks Andy,

I think that he can use the boast in zinc to help him grow.  I am beginning to see more growth in him since he stopped desferal (I don't know if it is a coincidence) but he grew very quickly from 131.5cm to 134cm.  The endocrinologist told us to encourage adequate nutrition, healthy calories and supplements during this time.  I think this is a good time to give him adequate levels of these minerals. 

The endocrinologist felt that some thals don't reach their height potential because of inadequate food intake, or because they are eating the wrong types of food.  Food should provide more than calories, it should nourish and provide antioxidants, vitamins and minerals.  Empty calories tend make children feel 'full', they put a load on the pancreas and other organs. 

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 04:47:52 PM »
I really feel that those with thalassemia need to look at their condition as one with little or no margin of error in terms of diet and nutrition. While non-thals may be able to consume much junk food with little nutrition, this will prove quite detrimental to thals. Teaching your children the connection between what they put in their bodies and their ultimate health, growth and development is extremely important. Empty calories are more than that. They deplete the body of needed nutrients and add nothing positive. A nutritious diet, along with supplements and avoidance of junk food, can make a huge difference to all growing children, but an even greater difference to thals. Nutrition is one of the recognized keys to management of thalassemia and should never be overlooked.
Andy

Offline Manal

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 12:23:24 AM »
Bostonian,

For the link you sent me, these doses are safe max doses for kids, right?

Yes that is right according to this link

Andy,
Wishing you and the family a speedy recovery :hugfriend

manal

Offline Bostonian_04

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 06:21:12 PM »
Andy,

Thanks for the suggestion on liquid Zinc. I really hope you and your family recover from this nasty cold soon. Wishing you speedy recovery....

Manal, Thanks for the clarification.

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 09:39:17 PM »
I only had the bad cough for two days and am slowly getting over this cold, but the weather is horrible, making it harder to get better. I am around, though, reading all the posts.
Andy

Offline Manal

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2009, 10:26:38 AM »
Andy :hugfriend

Offline jade

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2009, 07:04:32 AM »
Hi Andy

Wish that you and your family get better.  I agree with you that the worst part is the cough which really causes pain in the ribcage area.
take care
JAde

Offline Keep Smiling

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2009, 07:15:24 AM »
hi andy,
may u get better and better to keep helping all of us
Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2009, 08:11:52 AM »
Hi Andy ,
 :getwell ... :) .. hope that u n  ur family if feeling better ) ...

Umair
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk