Green Tea Extract as an Iron Chelator

• 24 Replies

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Green Tea Extract as an Iron Chelator
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2010, 05:55:26 PM »
This link was sent to me by Janco. Thanks for the link.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15802907

Ann Nutr Metab. 2005 Mar-Apr;49(2):118-24. Epub 2005 Mar 29.
Effect of green tea decoction on long-term iron, zinc and selenium status of rats.

Hamdaoui MH, Chahed A, Ellouze-Chabchoub S, Marouani N, Ben Abid Z, Hédhili A.

Unité de Recherche sur l'Anémie Nutritionnelle et la Biodisponibilité des Oligoéléments, Ecole Supérieure des Sciences et Techniques de la Santé de Tunis, Tunisie. hamdaoui.medhedi@gnet.tn
Abstract

AIMS: The objective was to examine the effect of green tea decoction given at two different concentrations on the long-term (6 weeks) iron, zinc and selenium status of rats.

METHODS: During the experimental period, the rats were given ad libitum a basic diet + ultra pure water (control group), a basic diet + green tea decoction prepared from 50 g/l (tea 50 group), or a basic diet + green tea decoction prepared from 100 g/l (tea 100 group). The zinc and iron status was evaluated by determining their concentrations in the serum, blood precipitate, liver, spleen, femur, heart and kidney. Selenium status was evaluated by the serum selenium concentration and whole blood glutathione peroxidase activity.

RESULTS: Green tea decoction significantly reduced serum iron by 26% in the tea groups (p < 0.01). The blood precipitate of iron was significantly decreased by 25 and 41% in the tea 50 and tea 100 groups (p < 0.01), respectively. The reserve of iron stored in the liver, spleen and femur was significantly reduced in the tea 100 group by 32% (p < 0.02), 20% (p < 0.04) and 35% (p < 0.005), respectively. Moreover, the two concentrations of green tea significantly decreased the reserve of iron stored in the kidney (p < 0.005) and heart (p < 0.02). In contrast with its effects on iron status, green tea decoction significantly increased the serum zinc in the tea 100 group by 24% (p < 0.001). It also increased the blood precipitate of zinc by 50 (p < 0.01) and 75% (p < 0.0001) in tea 50 and tea 100 groups, respectively. In the kidney, heart and femur, zinc significantly increased in the tea groups dependent on the tea dose. Similarly, the high concentration of green tea decoction significantly increased the serum selenium concentration by 16% (p < 0.004). In addition, both concentrations of green tea decoction significantly increased the whole blood glutathione peroxidase activity by 102 and 130% (p < 0.01).

CONCLUSION: Green tea decoction reduced the iron status and improved the zinc and selenium status of rats. These effects may constitute another beneficial effect of the green tea decoction which could play an important role in the antioxidant processes.

Not only did tea reduce iron load, but it also improved the zinc and selenium status, both of which are very beneficial in thalassemia.
PMID: 15802907 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline eesha

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2010, 12:22:29 PM »
Hi guy

I just wanted to know, how do you take green tea is it a teabag, because i can only find it as c apsules ont he net?

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2010, 05:05:58 PM »
Hi Eesha,

Green tea should be easy to find. It's sold in most places that also sell black tea. The extract is stronger though, so for use in thalassemia, the capsules are fine. I would recommend both.
Andy

Offline baal

• to be or not to be
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2010, 06:52:59 PM »
hi eesha

since a half year i take this capsules with green tea extrakt

and i am doing very very fine.....

i dont chelate as much ass before, and my skincolor change from

phale yellow to normal.....this are the capsules...panos

forgot to say...after every meal i take one...

Offline souly

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2010, 01:41:31 AM »
I have a question about green tea (extract). Does green tea cause constipation for kids?

Thanks for your help.

Souly

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2010, 02:08:17 AM »
Green tea is often recommended to prevent constipation. If this does seem to be a problem, I would suggest drinking more water when taking the extract.
Andy

Offline souly

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2010, 06:37:11 AM »
Thanks Andy for your clarification.

Souly

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2010, 10:00:46 PM »
Dr Vichnski also reminded us of the importance of drinking both green and black tea.
Both have very helpful properties.

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Bobby

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2010, 02:42:17 AM »
I've always drank black tea, but since this article I started drinking green tea. It's only been 6 days, but I'm enjoying the flavor. So far I've only had it hot using a teabag. I'm drinking about 3-4 cups a day.

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2010, 11:37:03 AM »
i have been told not to have green tea with out a little sugar in it. otherwise it becomes harmful ...
so either have it with your meals or add some sugar when drinking it!

i also had really delicous green tea with a some mint leaves in it. i'm not sure if it had mint leaves only but it was yummy

take care!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk