Exjade Side Effects and Interactions with Other Meds

• 8 Replies

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Exjade Side Effects and Interactions with Other Meds
« on: January 30, 2010, 01:03:32 AM »
We get many questions about the side effects of Exjade. There are many and perhaps Novartis could do a more thorough listing in their prescribing information, which is not the same in each country. I believe that Canada has forced the most thorough requirements, and I feel it is less than fully honest that Novartis does not willingly list all known information about Exjade. Of course, that is my opinion.

So, from drugs.com and not Novartis, side effects and interactions with other meds. Please note that nausea and loss of appetite are common side effects of Exjade.

http://www.drugs.com/exjade.html

Exjade side effects

Stop using Exjade and get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat. Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:

weakness or fainting, bloody or tarry stools;

coughing up blood or vomit that looks like coffee grounds;

severe stomach pain that may spread to your back;

increased thirst and urination, loss of appetite, weakness, constipation;

problems with vision or hearing;

severe skin rash;

easy bruising or bleeding, unusual weakness;

fever, chills, sore throat, body aches, flu symptoms;

urinating less than usual or not at all;

swelling or numbness in your hands or feet; or

nausea, loss of appetite, itching, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes).

Less serious Exjade side effects may include:

mild stomach pain, diarrhea, nausea or vomiting;

fever;

dizziness, anxiety, tired feeling;

sleep problems (insomnia);

mild skin rash, discolored skin; or

headache, cough, sinus pain, runny or stuffy nose.

This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.

See also: Exjade side effects in more detail
What other drugs will affect Exjade?

While you are taking Exjade, do not take antacids that contain aluminum, such as Amphojel, Gaviscon, Maalox, Mi-Acid, Mylanta, Rulox, and others.

Do not use other iron chelating medicines such as deferoxamine (Desferal) with Exjade unless your doctor has told you to.

Many drugs can interact with Exjade. Below is just a partial list. Tell your doctor if you are using:

alendronate (Fosamax), etidronate (Didronel), ibandronate (Boniva), pamidronate (Aredia), risedronate (Actonel), tiludronate (Skelid), or zoledronic acid (Reclast, Zometa);

an antibiotic such as clarithromycin (Biaxin), erythromycin (E.E.S., Erythrocin, Ery-Tab), telithromycin (Ketek), and others;

birth control pills;

a blood thinner such as warfarin (Coumadin);

cholesterol-lowering drugs such as atorvastatin (Lipitor), lovastatin (Mevacor), simvastatin (Zocor);

heart or blood pressure medications such as amlodipine (Norvasc, Lotrel), diltiazem (Cartia, Cardizem), felodipine (Plendil), nifedipine (Adalat), nisoldipine (Sular), or verapamil (Calan, Covera, Isoptin).

heart rhythm medication such as quinidine (Quinaglute, Quinidex, Quin-Release);

HIV medicines such as indinavir (Crixivan), nelfinavir (Viracept), ritonavir (Norvir, Kaletra), saquinavir (Invirase), and others;

medicines used to prevent organ transplant rejection, such as cyclosporine (Gengraf, Neoral, Sandimmune) or tacrolimus (Prograf);

an NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug) such as ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil), naproxen (Aleve, Naprosyn), diclofenac (Cataflam, Voltaren), etodolac (Lodine), indomethacin (Indocin), ketoprofen (Orudis), and others;

a sedative such as alprazolam (Xanax), diazepam (Valium), midazolam (Versed), or triazolam (Halcion); or

steroids such as prednisone, fluticasone (Advair), mometasone (Asmanex, Nasonex), dexamethasone (Decadron, Hexadrol) and others.

This list is not complete and there are many other medicines that can interact with Exjade. Tell your doctor about all the prescription and over-the-counter medications you use. This includes vitamins, minerals, herbal products, and drugs prescribed by other doctors. Do not start using a new medication without telling your doctor. Keep a list with you of all the medicines you use and show this list to any doctor or other healthcare provider who treats you.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Lena

Re: Exjade Side Effects and Interactions with Other Meds
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 05:28:50 AM »
Thank you, Andy.

I would like to mention I have found all side effects in the paper accompanying exjade here in Greece.
The list of reactions with other medicine was very informative,too. Thank you.

Lena.

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 06:38:29 AM »

Z experiences stomach ache on daily basis :( i hope splitting of dose would resolve this issue.
^*^Xaini^*^

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 11:15:48 PM »
Hi Zaini,

We will update you with our experiment of splitting the dose.

Regards.

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 07:04:05 AM »
Thanks CF, :hugfriend We are also planning on doing the same,i have asked Novartis to let me buy all 100 mg boxes,so that Lil Z will be taking 300 mg in the morning and 300 mg in the evening.

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Lena

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 10:42:24 AM »

I have noticed that little children generally experience stomache ache with exjade while grown ups do not or rarely do.

Lena.

Offline Waleed

• I'm not normal but Supernormal
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 06:20:57 PM »
im going to start exjade tonight n after reading its side effects its like  :computer ... well i hope or the est ive been always good wid any other meds so i hope exjade wont b a problem ... lets c
Waleed

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 06:25:01 PM »
Waleed,

It is best to start on a low dose for a week or two until your body adjusts to the new drug. One third to one half dose is good for starters. This greatly reduces the initial side effects like the rash.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Dori

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 03:06:01 PM »
Today was the fourth morning I took Exjade. I'd a slightly headaches last morning but today is different. I have a heavy headaches since I woke up. Paracetamol took the edge(?) of it but it is far not enough. (Thank heaven I am allowed to take it again!). You see, I have never headaches. Ok, once when I had sinusitis. I take only 125mcg of Exjade but I am allergic for it. I have had all symptoms before but never this.

Do you think it can be the Exjade? Or do you think it might be sinustitis and so yes, how do I know that?

I have been out today but I am home now. I should go to bed but it drives me crazy. I do not want to think all the time 'ouch my head'.

Any tips are more than welcome,

Dori

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk