should beta major's mother too avoid iron if breastfeeding?

• 5 Replies

Offline pmeet

should beta major's mother too avoid iron if breastfeeding?
« on: December 14, 2011, 03:34:07 PM »
My daughter is 8 months old, Transfusion havent started yet. Should she stop iron intake untill baby is taking feed?

Offline Narendra

Re: should beta major's mother too avoid iron if breastfeeding?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 06:43:57 PM »
The Iron that the child gets through the food is very less (minimal) compared to the blood transfusion.

In my opinion, mother can continue with regular meal without being concerned about Iron as she would need the iron in her body too.

Offline pmeet

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 04:38:14 AM »
i am bit confused. The donor of blood too must be getting iron from food only. i am still reading literature about thal, can you clear my confusion

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 03:35:45 PM »
No, all humans need iron. The mother should not be concerned about iron being transferred by breast milk. Breast milk will also provide the most nutritious food possible for a baby, and very importantly, provide the antibodies that will help to keep the child's immune system stronger.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 05:33:13 PM »
As far as the donor iron, each molecule of hemoglobin contains one iron atom. No more. No less. So the donor's iron intake has little relevance, as long as red cells only are transfused. Whole blood should not be used.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Bostonian_04

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 10:35:40 PM »
Pmeet,

Dr. Neufeld always told us to never worry about Iron in food for my Thal major daughter. A growing child's body needs Iron, even a Thal major child. And iron from food is negligible compared to the blood they get. So, every type of food can be eaten in moderation, including iron rich food. Only thing to remember, when the chelation starts (after 2 yrs of age if regularly transfused and ferritin is above 1000), make sure you are dilligent about giving the chelation medication to her. There should be no restriction on food, if no allergies - not for mom, also not for the child. 

p.s. though I must say, I stayed away from Iron fortified cereals and we eat red meat only occasionally.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ? - Plato

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk