Developed Diabetes due to Thal Major. Any chances to revert it back?

• 13 Replies

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
If you did read my introduction thread, I mentioned that I developed diabetes in January 2009 due to iron overload in pancreas.

Since that day, I am taking insulin 5 times a day (3 times short acting , and twice long acting).

I was given hope by doctors that I maybe free from it in around 3-4 months when iron overlapping reduces and my EXJADE's (Asunra) dose was made 3 tables, that means 1200 mg and since that day I am on same dose.

But I believe EXJADE doesn't seem to be working well. My parents think that its better to avoid Despheral till we can as I already have 5 insulin doses a day. But I am trying to convince them to meet hematologist again and consider an advice again so we could chelate our maximum iron.

The iron deposition stays around 5000-6000 and sometimes 1000 shoot up could be seen. From what I see, I think EXJADE isn't working well in my case. I am taking it since May, 2008.

So is there any hope for me to come out of induced Diabetes due to Thalassemia Major?

Pratik.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 02:17:12 PM by Pratik »
Every child is special.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Developed Diabetes due to Thal Major. Any chances to revert it back?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 01:48:26 PM »
Pratik,

What is your weight and what has been your dose of Exjade? In most cases I see where the iron has not dropped, the dose is too low.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 02:06:09 PM »
Hi Andy,

The dose is perfect as per my weight. My current weight is 42 kg and I take 1200 mg on daily basis.

So 42 x 30mg = 1260 mg which I take.

Any more increase can be done as well?

I also read your post that Asunra doesn't shows much effect when given in glass made with metals or aluminium which I do, is that maybe a problem? Should I change it? Also, would  the glass or cup made up of glass and not metal be suitable?

And I am thinking to split up the Doses of the same from tomorrow as I've read many posts having better results after when they split up including yours. What time may be better?

-Pratik.
Every child is special.

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 02:11:21 PM »
The maximum safe dose of Exjade is 40 mg/kg and this is used when iron levels are not reducing. If you move to this dose, make sure that the monitoring for liver and kidney values is sufficient. In addition, a recent study showed that the optimal dose for maintaining a negative iron balance is 32.6 mg/kg, so you could easily raise your dose a bit.
Andy

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 02:16:24 PM »
Hi Andy,

So you mean to say its safe to increase 400 mg (one tablet) more in cases like such?

Also, I made a mistake in my first post, I take Exjade (Asunra) and not DEFRASIROX. Let me correct it.

And my SGPT these days varies around 90-100.
Every child is special.

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 02:25:13 PM »
Deferasirox is the generic drug name for Exjade, Asunra and Desirox. All the same drug.
Andy

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 03:59:41 PM »
Deferasirox is the generic drug name for Exjade, Asunra and Desirox. All the same drug.
I thought DEFRASIROX was the name of the one by Cipla.
Every child is special.

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 05:11:08 PM »
The Ciipla brand is Desirox. The generic name is deferasirox.
Andy

Offline Bostonian_04

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 11:49:45 PM »
Pratik, i was reading your email and realized you are drinking exjade from a metal glass. You should not use any metallic glass or spoon...you should switch to non-metallic glass - may be plastic or made of glass for sure. exjade will not be as effective if it comes in contact with metals.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ? - Plato

Offline Dharmesh

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 06:01:56 PM »
If you did read my introduction thread, I mentioned that I developed diabetes in January 2009 due to iron overload in pancreas.

Since that day, I am taking insulin 5 times a day (3 times short acting , and twice long acting).

I was given hope by doctors that I maybe free from it in around 3-4 months when iron overlapping reduces and my EXJADE's (Asunra) dose was made 3 tables, that means 1200 mg and since that day I am on same dose.

But I believe EXJADE doesn't seem to be working well. My parents think that its better to avoid Despheral till we can as I already have 5 insulin doses a day. But I am trying to convince them to meet hematologist again and consider an advice again so we could chelate our maximum iron.

The iron deposition stays around 5000-6000 and sometimes 1000 shoot up could be seen. From what I see, I think EXJADE isn't working well in my case. I am taking it since May, 2008.

So is there any hope for me to come out of induced Diabetes due to Thalassemia Major?

Pratik.
Hi Dear Pratik,
Truly speaking, i don't like that you are taking 5 shots of insulin. I fill sad. Have u said your doc. to re-evaluate your it?
Dharmesh.
Start listening your body, it always gives signs

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 06:12:21 AM »
Well, I have got used to taking 5 shots daily now. Been more than 3 years to live with, haha.

Well, no re-evaluation is needed as it's the best possible thing at the moment. I hope that in future, if my iron decreases, my diabetes would vanish, I am always living with that hope.

And there is not a single day I do not remember or miss my great days I had before I had diabetes, especially days of 2008, best year of my life. Diabetes does not affect my life now, I control myself and I was not a sweet things lover (except ice-cream, chocolates & cakes :P) so it has affected me less, I just love spicy food much. In fact, since diabetes came, I have been controlling myself and eating healthy things now.

I miss my old life just because of the awesome days I had without taking any insulin or remember what to eat, how much to eat and all. Now I don't even feel pain of needles, it's just a routine.

-P
Every child is special.

Offline Dharmesh

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 01:39:53 PM »
Hi Dear,
I am using a pen for taking it. What do u use pen or syringe?
FYI I have seen a patient having age less than 10 and diabetes + Thal major. You don't think that we are lucky than that patient?
Dharmesh

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 02:35:06 PM »
Hi Dharmesh,

I also use PEN as it has less length that of a syringe. As a side note, I take LANTUS for long acting (twice, morning and night) and 3 times ACTRAPID for short acting (thrice a day, during breakfast, launch and dinner).

And yeah, I do think we are very lucky. I would consider myself as suffering from nothing. If I did not had thalassemia and had no legs to walk, for example, that would be A LOT of misery than having thalassemia, so I thank god to bless me with thal rather than any such physical complications. :)

-Pratik.
Every child is special.

Offline Dharmesh

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 03:07:14 PM »
Hi,
I Agree with you Pratik.
 :agree
Dharmesh

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk