Bone deformities

• 7 Replies
Bone deformities
« on: August 03, 2012, 03:53:03 PM »
My son aged 18 & a half yr. old (thal maj) is suffering from bone deformities & bony swellings at joints & also having defficiency of Vit.D. I have heard about Amway -Nutrilite Food supplements like Bone Health with Ipriflavone & Cal Mag D & Natural B etc. Are these usefull ? Can anybody tell me something about this?

Offline Waleed

• I'm not normal but Supernormal
Re: Bone deformities
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 08:08:14 PM »
What is his exact test results. Thals surely need supplements. You might consider taking calcium supplement with magnesium in a roughly ratio of 2:1, and vitamin D3 for absorption of these two.

I am taking daily Calcium 800mg, Magnesium 300mg, Vitamin D3 2800IU.
Waleed

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 08:41:31 PM »
I am sure your son needs intervention with high doses of vitamin D, possibly 50,000 IU weekly.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Dharmesh

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 10:32:49 AM »
What is his exact test results. Thals surely need supplements. You might consider taking calcium supplement with magnesium in a roughly ratio of 2:1, and vitamin D3 for absorption of these two.

I am taking daily Calcium 800mg, Magnesium 300mg, Vitamin D3 2800IU.

Hi Waleed,
Whether your Calcium supplements contain magnesium and vit D3 or u take it separately all the three things?
Start listening your body, it always gives signs

Offline Dharmesh

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 10:38:13 AM »
Hi Meenakshim,
Generally this kind of food supplements are containing lower amount of Vitamins and Minerals. Thalassemia Major patients need much more supplements available in  this kind of food products. However you can use this  in addition to Calcium and Vit D supplements. And yes it should be without Iron.
Start listening your body, it always gives signs

Offline Waleed

• I'm not normal but Supernormal
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 06:27:18 PM »
Hi Waleed,
Whether your Calcium supplements contain magnesium and vit D3 or u take it separately all the three things?

Dear the calcium supplement is Osteocare. Its two tablets has calcium 800,magnesium 300,zinc 10mg and small amount of vitamin d, so I take Vitamin D separately also. For details of supplements I just started recently, you can check http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php/topic,118.120.html.
Waleed

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 01:07:29 PM »
Thanks Waleed,Andy & Aashrit for replying.         
The exact test result of my son are as follows-
Vit.D 25- 31.00 nmol/L,   Cal serum -7.64mg/dl,   PTH[cmia]-10.70 pg/ml,   Phosphorus serum -7.00mg/dl,   Ferritin-1601.80 ng/ml,   TSH[clia] -2.814 uIU/ml,  Testosterone Total -382.93 ng/dL,  FSH-1.37 mIU/mL,   LH-1.49mIU/mL ,  Protein -7.5
He is taking 1500 mg  Desirox & Thyrox -25 daily.  His wt. is 44 kg &  ht. is 5 feet 4 inches.
Among cal. vit. B,C,E,Protein Folic acid, & any other supplement  what should he take & in which quantity? Please help me to arrange his daily dose of supplements. Thanks.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 06:35:47 PM »
You also need to ensure that he is getting adequate transfusions.  Low hemoglobin can be very detrimental to the bones.  You should aim to keep the hemoglobin above 10 at all times - while also focusing on chelation and supplementation. 

Best,
Sharmin
Sharmin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk