Why can't parents donate blood to their baby?

• 4 Replies

Offline BabyI

Why can't parents donate blood to their baby?
« on: January 21, 2013, 02:55:51 AM »
Hello everyone

I had this question and wanted to post in seperare topic. I was told me, my husband or family members absolutely cannot donate our blood for our baby. Why is this so? And why do they allow in places in California?

Also, is there anything I need to consider when having my baby transfused from volunteer blood???

Offline zahra

Re: Why can't parents donate blood to their baby?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 09:18:39 AM »
Hi, 
I think one of the reasons is so the child doesn't develop antibodies to possible bone marrow or cord blood donors. Best donors are sibling for transplant . Sometimes mothers are also good donors ezpecially while affected child is very young.
Best of luck.
Zahra

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 04:27:38 PM »
I have replied at to the other post with the same question at http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php/topic,4638.msg45841.html#msg45841
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline BabyI

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 11:01:49 PM »
Thank you both for the replies. It seems there is a small chance it will give complications to child. I wonder if these complications are severe or minor. If we don't plan on the bone marrow or cord, then there shouldn't be a problem. I really wish I could give my blood. :(

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 02:15:06 AM »
You could ask friends and relatives if they would be willing to be direct blood donors for your child.
There is paperwork involved each time, and a fee that may or may not be covered by your insurance.
However, it is important to know that those people who donate blood to your child would not be able to ever donate an organ to your child later. (The Red Cross requires this counseling when direct blood donation is set up.)
Nicole
Nicoler

My son, adopted from China at age 3 in April 2010, has beta thalassemia major.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk