Transfusion and dermatology reaction!

• 5 Replies

Offline foka

Transfusion and dermatology reaction!
« on: November 22, 2006, 07:58:17 AM »
Hi,

i was on Friday at the Thal Center (Paris) for a transfusion but after the last bottle i got a realy bad dermatology reaction.
Let's say it was not my first time, but usually it is only some small exanthemas in the arm and in the nack. (in Greece at least it was small)

But on Friday it was realy my first time that it was so massif, i mean, both hands until the axils and on both sides of my body and the nack!

I thought i mutate into a HULK!

Seriously, it was not very nice.

I got than a small cortizone (5ml) infusion and in two hours it was gonne again! Thank god, i didn't had any problems with breathing and pain!

But it should not happen!!!

Don't write your experience, because i hope and wish that you don't have such experience.

Thanks for listening
Fotis

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
Re: Transfusion and dermatology reaction!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 11:31:17 AM »
Hi,
    I experience itching and riggers occasionally due to improper separation of plasma (with all the antibodies and reacting gunk) from the red blood cells. You can read my post in detail if you want to in the Transfusion related reactions section by clicking this link: http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php?topic=181.msg961#msg961

Take care, Peace.
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline jzd24

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 12:28:47 AM »
Fotis,
     It's too bad you had to go through that nasty reaction. It's bad enough to deal with all the problems of a chronic illness, but to have problems with the thing that is supposed to make you feel better, well, that takes the cake! (a crazy American expression). Hope things go better next time.  Jean

Offline foka

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 10:02:17 AM »
Hi,

you see, the problem is that i have to go again in two weeks for a transfusion, but i feel that I am loosing my faith in this Thal Care Center!!! And that is not good!!!

Fotis

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 01:02:59 PM »
Hi Fotis,

Maybe you can ask them for a leukocyte filter to minimize the reaction to the maximum extent if you are not already using it.

Take care, Peace!
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline Danielle

• Beta Thal Major
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 04:09:34 PM »
Unfortunately, no matter what treatment center we go to, or if we use a leukocyte filter, there is always a chance of reaction when getting any type of transfusion.  Of course, the chances are lessened when using a filter, but reactions still happen.  You can read about my horrific incident in this thread.

http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php?topic=106.0

This reaction happened even with leukocyte depleted blood.

I'm sorry that you had to endure that reaction.  Do you take any kind of pre-transfusion medications?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk