Help from INDIAN friends - figuring out supplements and brands

• 18 Replies

Offline elca sharma

Hello ,
I am 24 years old , beta thalassemia minor, female from India(new delhi). I am having trouble finding appropriate brands for supplements, hence calling out for help.
•   My hb is 11.6.
•   vitamin D level is 10
•   vitamin b12 is 383
I discovered about thal minor a while ago but I was told it is asymptomatic. I have been tired and fatigued all my life, never knew why though.  Nevertheless in the last couple of months  my fatigue has gone to new lows. I feel like I am 100 years old. I don’t even feel like I have the strength to walk till the door.
     In order to boost my HB I tried incorporating strength training a couple of months ago, as I could just not keep up with endurance exercise. The heavy lifting of weights I guess just accelerated the vitamin depletion and my body just can’t cope now. I am VERY VERY tired and fatigued. Its difficult to express HOW tired !! I have also started experiencing heart palpitations.
      After finding this godsent website, I have realized I need supplements. I spoke to doctors but we know doctors don’t like being told about the calcium magnesium ratio or natural Vitamin E or any other suggestions. So I am having trouble finding appropriate brands that meet requirements in India.
      If any of you Indian friends can tell me the brands you are taking for the following supplements it will serve as a great guidelines. Please do help. I am very tired and very lost with little help from the medical field.
Please help what are the brands or medicines you take for the following in INDIA -:
•   Vitamin B Complex (100 is recommended)
•   Calcium 500-100mg
•   Magnesium 250-500 mg daily.
•   Vitamin C 500-1000 mg daily.
•   Natural vitamin E complex. 400 IU natural E daily.
•   Vitamin D -5000 IU daily or 50,000-60,00 IU are prescribed weekly
•   folic acid -1000-2000 mcg (micrograms)daily.
•   L-cartinine or L-arginine  ??? how much ?? how often ?? brand?? (as I lift heavy weights as a part of my strength training program and I am very very very fatigued)

Thanks in anticipations. You guys are doing a great job of helping out confused thal patients like me and giving support. !

Offline zahra

Re: Help from INDIAN friends - figuring out supplements and brands
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 08:43:02 AM »
Hi,
I am not Indian so I can't help with the brands but I have been in the same boat.
Your Vit. D is very low. When mine was that low Dr gave me an injection of 150, 000 IU.
They aren't available everywhere but do try to find them. For me the difference was like night and day. Otherwise go for the 50, 000IU weekly. Others take a long time.
Also get your thyroid tested. That can also cause extreme fatigue.
Wishing you all the best.
Zahra

Offline elca sharma

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 03:36:37 PM »
Hey zahra
Thankyou so much for the kind words and your time ! Your advice is very correct.
I was hoping to get some other inputs as well on brands etc but I guess I was just knocking on the wrong door !
Thanks again !

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 04:46:22 AM »
I agree with Zahra. Your vitamin D level is extremely low and needs correction. I don't think you can adequately assess your true physical condition until that is done. You should try to get it up to at least 35. A goal of 50 would be good. Vitamin D is available in India in 60,000 IU sachets, in addition to injections. Ask your doctor about it, as your D level is abysmal. Raising your D level will give you more energy and a stronger immune system. D is essential for absorbing many nutrients and is needed for most, if not all bodily functions. Our member, Pratik has been ordering supplements, although he gets many shipped from the US. perhaps he can tell you more about what is available in India.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Dharmesh

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 06:05:36 AM »
Hello ,
I am 24 years old , beta thalassemia minor, female from India(new delhi). I am having trouble finding appropriate brands for supplements, hence calling out for help.
•   My hb is 11.6.
•   vitamin D level is 10
•   vitamin b12 is 383
I discovered about thal minor a while ago but I was told it is asymptomatic. I have been tired and fatigued all my life, never knew why though.  Nevertheless in the last couple of months  my fatigue has gone to new lows. I feel like I am 100 years old. I don’t even feel like I have the strength to walk till the door.
     In order to boost my HB I tried incorporating strength training a couple of months ago, as I could just not keep up with endurance exercise. The heavy lifting of weights I guess just accelerated the vitamin depletion and my body just can’t cope now. I am VERY VERY tired and fatigued. Its difficult to express HOW tired !! I have also started experiencing heart palpitations.
      After finding this godsent website, I have realized I need supplements. I spoke to doctors but we know doctors don’t like being told about the calcium magnesium ratio or natural Vitamin E or any other suggestions. So I am having trouble finding appropriate brands that meet requirements in India.
      If any of you Indian friends can tell me the brands you are taking for the following supplements it will serve as a great guidelines. Please do help. I am very tired and very lost with little help from the medical field.
Please help what are the brands or medicines you take for the following in INDIA -:
•   Vitamin B Complex (100 is recommended)
•   Calcium 500-100mg
•   Magnesium 250-500 mg daily.
•   Vitamin C 500-1000 mg daily.
•   Natural vitamin E complex. 400 IU natural E daily.
•   Vitamin D -5000 IU daily or 50,000-60,00 IU are prescribed weekly
•   folic acid -1000-2000 mcg (micrograms)daily.
•   L-cartinine or L-arginine  ??? how much ?? how often ?? brand?? (as I lift heavy weights as a part of my strength training program and I am very very very fatigued)

Thanks in anticipations. You guys are doing a great job of helping out confused thal patients like me and giving support. !

Hi Elca,
Vitamin D

Injection Arachitol 6,00,000 I.U. it is Vit D3 Injection available in Indian Market. I too took it last yr.
Also available in 3,00,000 I.U.
If u r not comfortable with Injection
Calcirol sachets is available having 60K Units (Dosage once weekly) There are so many substitute of this sachets..

Vit B12
Whats the range of this level? Tab Neurobion Forte is good for this

Calcium
Tab Calcimax Forte Once daily.

Vit C
Take Natural Lemon water with honey and citrus fruits (it is its season)that will bring enough C for u.

Folic Acid
it is universally reco. for thals.
Take 5 mg or 500 mcg, Foldivit or Folvite or Zyfoly

You can get all this stuff in just one tablet available in India by Amway
Tab. Daily it is multivitamin, multiminerals and in sufficient dosage.
U can get it from any amway agent. and it is in addition to Calcirol sachets

My mother is using tab daily and calcirol sachets..  she is thal minor

All the best

Start listening your body, it always gives signs

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 09:55:25 AM »
Hi Elca,

As Dharmesh (Hanumant) told, you can take that 60K sachet once weekly for few weeks until you D rises around to 35.

I order my most of supplements from abroad though. One major reason is quality and in right quantity and they're cheap on most parts too. Major part of my supplements are ordered from Puritan.com (USA based, many members from Thalpal including Andy uses it). Other is calcium/magnesium mixed, Osteocare, which I order from UK (chemistdirect.co.uk). It's a very good product and in right combination.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

-P.
Every child is special.

Offline elca sharma

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 02:36:37 PM »
I agree with Zahra. Your vitamin D level is extremely low and needs correction. I don't think you can adequately assess your true physical condition until that is done. You should try to get it up to at least 35. A goal of 50 would be good. Vitamin D is available in India in 60,000 IU sachets, in addition to injections. Ask your doctor about it, as your D level is abysmal. Raising your D level will give you more energy and a stronger immune system. D is essential for absorbing many nutrients and is needed for most, if not all bodily functions. Our member, Pratik has been ordering supplements, although he gets many shipped from the US. perhaps he can tell you more about what is available in India.

thank you andy it is very kind of you to intercede and point out the right direction. As recommended by you and others I have just started the 60,000 IU sachets. you are being a great help and providing great information !
also i need your learned  guidance on following-:
1.   my Haemoglobin is  11.6, beta thal minor.
Q. Would you recommend slight iron supplement for a moth or two to get it up to 12 or 13 ?
2.   Also since I was experiencing heart palpitations and pain in the chest i got my calcium magnesium checked. the results were -:
•   Magnesium 1.90 (range 1.90-2.50)
•   Calcium 8.50 (range 8.80-10.60)
Q. I understand the calcium is a tad bit low .With these figures but would you recommend supplementation ?
 Q. Also if so, should I keep taking calcium magnesium supplements even after levels normalise as a principle like other supplements of folic acid etc?
Thanks a lot andy ! you are godsent. !

Offline elca sharma

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 02:40:09 PM »
Hi Elca,
Vitamin D

Injection Arachitol 6,00,000 I.U. it is Vit D3 Injection available in Indian Market. I too took it last yr.
Also available in 3,00,000 I.U.
If u r not comfortable with Injection
Calcirol sachets is available having 60K Units (Dosage once weekly) There are so many substitute of this sachets..

Vit B12
Whats the range of this level? Tab Neurobion Forte is good for this

Calcium
Tab Calcimax Forte Once daily.

Vit C
Take Natural Lemon water with honey and citrus fruits (it is its season)that will bring enough C for u.

Folic Acid
it is universally reco. for thals.
Take 5 mg or 500 mcg, Foldivit or Folvite or Zyfoly

You can get all this stuff in just one tablet available in India by Amway
Tab. Daily it is multivitamin, multiminerals and in sufficient dosage.
U can get it from any amway agent. and it is in addition to Calcirol sachets

My mother is using tab daily and calcirol sachets..  she is thal minor

All the best

Hey dharmeshji
thankyou so much for your detailed reply I am indebted to you for expanding my knowledge . may I ask dharmeshji in your mothers experience, has she taken iron supplements off and on to maintain haemoglobin ? or is it not recommended ?
p.s i really like your screen name- hanumant aashrit 

Offline elca sharma

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 02:47:27 PM »
Hi Elca,

As Dharmesh (Hanumant) told, you can take that 60K sachet once weekly for few weeks until you D rises around to 35.

I order my most of supplements from abroad though. One major reason is quality and in right quantity and they're cheap on most parts too. Major part of my supplements are ordered from Puritan.com (USA based, many members from Thalpal including Andy uses it). Other is calcium/magnesium mixed, Osteocare, which I order from UK (chemistdirect.co.uk). It's a very good product and in right combination.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

-P.

dear pratik ji,

thankyou for your kind response and resources . osteocare looks like a great product. !
•   Can you please throw some light on L carnitine. Do you use it ? if so do you procure it from the abovementioned websites or an Indian brand ?
•   I did come across a generic medicine called carnitor in the Indian market . its composition mentions
COMPOSITION Salts -   Levocarnitine (500 mg)
It also has many substitutes like forage, carnisure from other manufacturers ?
•   Any idea about it ? any suggestion about it ?
•   Also one last thing, are you taking any wheatgrass tablets etc ? if so please enlighten on procurement ?
•   Are these suited for thal minor ? or are they suitable only for majors ?

thankyou so much pratik ji!

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 03:47:13 AM »
Elca,

Your calcium and magnesium need adjusting, and this should be done along with the supplementing of vitamin D so the minerals are absorbed. As to wheatgrass, wheatgrass is a food product and anyone can take it.
Andy

Offline Dharmesh

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 06:49:02 AM »

Hey dharmeshji
thankyou so much for your detailed reply I am indebted to you for expanding my knowledge . may I ask dharmeshji in your mothers experience, has she taken iron supplements off and on to maintain haemoglobin ? or is it not recommended ?
p.s i really like your screen name- hanumant aashrit 

Hello ElcaJi,
My mother was  taking Iron Folic and Cal Mag D first (Amway Nutrilite, It is US brand) hb raise from 9 to 10.5 gm/dL which was never before. Then shifted to Daily. She is just taking it continuously but some days brake when she feel bored with it :biggrin

I believe in Hanumanji Maharaj, i am so blessed by him, i kept this screen name Hanumant Aashreet means dependent of Hanumanji Maharaj :biggrin
Thnx for the appreciation
Start listening your body, it always gives signs

Offline elca sharma

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 08:50:12 PM »
Elca,

Your calcium and magnesium need adjusting, and this should be done along with the supplementing of vitamin D so the minerals are absorbed. As to wheatgrass, wheatgrass is a food product and anyone can take it.

Hey andy ,
You are right ! thanks for the analysis !
One last question and I wont pester you anymore

I am interested in L cartinine. And as learned from your website I can procure it from puritan.com etc . but I did come across a prescription medicine here in India called “carnitor 500mg” and salt is mentioned as “Levocarnitine (500 mg)”
Q1 . is levocarnitine same as the L-carnitine we are talking about ?

Q2. second the thing I am most bothered about is that one of the side effects mentioned is SEIZURES, apart from nausea, vomiting , etc.
I know this might sound childish to you but  I am scared. What should I do. Is it a common side effect of L-carnitine ? what do I do ?

“Seek immediate medical attention if this rare but very serious side effect occurs:seizure."- webmd
http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-4488-Carnitor+Oral.aspx?drugid=4488&drugname=Carnitor+Oral

Thanks ,
Looking forward to your reply

Offline elca sharma

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2013, 08:51:59 PM »
Hello ElcaJi,
My mother was  taking Iron Folic and Cal Mag D first (Amway Nutrilite, It is US brand) hb raise from 9 to 10.5 gm/dL which was never before. Then shifted to Daily. She is just taking it continuously but some days brake when she feel bored with it :biggrin

I believe in Hanumanji Maharaj, i am so blessed by him, i kept this screen name Hanumant Aashreet means dependent of Hanumanji Maharaj :biggrin
Thnx for the appreciation

Dear dharmeshji,

thankyou for the reply .!
i was also thinking about cal mag d . so which one would you suggest calmax forte or cal mag d ?

also dharmeshji i am also hanumant ashrit only :)! that is why fancied your screen name ! may lor hanuman be with you :)

regards,

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2013, 04:29:23 AM »
Hi Elca,

The L in L-carnitine is levo. Yes it is the same. Please do not be scared by the warnings. They are there because bodybuilders often take 30 or more grams daily of L-carnitine. It is foolish and can lead to many problems. I suggest taking the recommended dosage on the bottle, and no more than 2000 mg daily.
Andy

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2013, 06:42:20 AM »
Hi Elca,

Yes, I do take L-Carnitine regularly. I take about 500mg or sometimes 1000mg too, depends. 1000mg I take on the Gym days, 30 minutes before hitting the Gym.

I also take L-Argnine at night, 1g (1000mg) too. Don't worry, it is a very nice supplement that helps with heart and overall health. But yeah, as Andy said, I'd recommend you to take only 250mg or maybe 500mg if you could adjust, otherwise 250mg is just fine, too.

I actually ordered it from HealthKart (Indian site), the Dymatize brand (order Acetyl L-Carnitine as it's absorbed more than normal one), but it has ran out of stock since long. Hence I've ordered this time from Puritan directly, they've great prices too.

Feel free to ask if you have any more questions. :)

-P.
Every child is special.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk