transfusion cost in USA

• 4 Replies

Offline zahra

transfusion cost in USA
« on: June 29, 2011, 11:53:45 AM »
Hi everyone ,
I am planning to visit the US in July. I wanted to know if it is feasible to stay more than the three weeks or so between transfusions by getting my son transfused there once. Can anyone give me an idea of what a transfusion would cost there as my insurance company here isnt llikely to cover it. Here my son gets packed RBC's that are leucodepleted and have special antigen testing every 3-4 weeks.

Zahra

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: transfusion cost in USA
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 01:23:42 PM »
Transfusions are quite costly in the US. Eileen from CAF can give you some idea of the range of costs, as it varies from hospital to hospital. Contact Eileen. She does answer her emails.

Patient Services Manager
Eileen Scott
eileen.s@cooleysanemia.org
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 06:19:25 PM »
Hi,

I tried dropping a mail to Eileen, but there was a major failure. Seems like the email id is no longer active. Could you please suggest me whom to reach out for my below concern

Hi,

i have a dear friend of mine who is suffering from thallasaemia major.She is 25 years old and goes for blood transfusion at AIIMS(india) after every 21 days.Is there any chance she could be well treated, to cure her so that she could live a much healthier life.Which hospitals in US could provide her a better treatment so that she could live a normal life.Looking at her no one could say she is a thal patient.Please help me in getting her a better life.
 I believe with the medical development these days, we have gene therapy coming up in next few years. What are the latest updates on that. When can one undergo that to lead a normal life.

I want my friend to come here in US as of now and get her regular blood transfusion. Patients are well cared here in US than in India. Can you name few of the hospitals here in New Jersey which could admit her for monthly blood transfusions and what all documents will be required. Expenses as well.

Can i also forward you her latest medical reports so that you could suggest me in a better way.

Thanks,
Kunal

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 06:55:25 PM »
CAF had an email problem for awhile, but I believe it was resolved. you can also contact them through their website at http://www.thalassemia.org/about-the-foundation/contact/

Be advised that without health insurance, patients cannot afford treatment in the US. If your friend is doing well in India, there is no reason to relocate. I would suggest that she complies fully with her treatment, as gene therapy will eventually be available and will not have the age restrictions that come with BMT.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 07:16:29 PM »
Thanks a lot Andy..I hope we have the gene therapy in coming 2 years and we can have a world free of thal :)

I hope this therapy will also come to India ASAP.

Thanks again,
Kunal

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk