thalassemia minor with bilirubin levels high

• 2 Replies
thalassemia minor with bilirubin levels high
« on: November 15, 2013, 01:12:21 AM »
i got diagonised with thal minor when i was around 13 years, i got all my tests done and the doctor said that it is thal minor. when i got tested my bilirubin levels are always fluctuated, commonly my levels will be between 3 to 6. is there any problem regarding this issue or it is common for a thal minor. please help me out.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: thalassemia minor with bilirubin levels high
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 03:16:00 PM »
It is normal for thal minors to have high bilirubin levels, as there is a higher than normal turnover in red blood cells. Bilirubin is a by-product of hemoglobin as it breaks down. Eating  healthy diet can help a bit, but there isn't much you can do about the levels, as the red cell destruction is constant. Folic acid, B complex and magnesium may help to extend the life of red blood cells. The potential problem that exists is gallstones, although that danger already exists in many non-thals too.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Re: thalassemia minor with bilirubin levels high
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 12:45:38 AM »
thankyou andy for your reply.
recently i have done my hb an bilirubin levels checked, hb is 10.8 and bilirubin conjugated is 1.9 an uncojugated is 3.5, so i am worrying that is there any other problem to me. i am not using any of the supplements or tablets for years, so please help me out

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk