Best way to raise pre transfusion HB

• 3 Replies
Best way to raise pre transfusion HB
« on: March 22, 2014, 01:42:08 AM »
So it's been over two years since I asked this forum for advice on HB levels. The consensus was to not allow them to drop below 9-10. I have tried with my current doctor who is quite open to my suggestions, but it hasn't worked too well. Granted we only tried once.

I normally get transfusions every 3 weeks and my HB is around 8. This time it was 7.0 which concerned me enough to post again.

What I tried doing was getting a transfusion at 8 then 2 weeks later another, instead of 3 weeks. I then waited the usual 3 weeks and it was back to where it always is. It seemed to break down faster with more blood.

So in going to give it another try. I just got my transfusion today at 7.0 so I should be around 9.0 now. I am going to ask for another full transfusion in 1 week. After that I will check again after two weeks and get another if necessary.

Does this sound like the best course of action? Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks again, this forum has always been helpful!

Offline Waleed

• I'm not normal but Supernormal
Re: Best way to raise pre transfusion HB
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 06:10:09 AM »
I would say give it a chance more than once. If you ferritin isnt high get two or three transfusions done within 2 weeks. There  are many dactors in play that can reduce hb faster than it should so unles you have tried that over 4-5 months you can't be certain on anything.
Waleed

Offline myaki

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 04:33:29 PM »
Hello Apollo,
do you use Wheatgrass Juice powder? one spoon every day can help with keeping HB higher. Folic Acid helps aswell!
Here you can find Andy posts with nutritional advices, he's been very helpful to us.
http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php/topic,5190.0.html
http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php/topic,118.0.html

Offline jatin

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 11:38:36 AM »
Sir pls check your spleen on USG..if spleen is enlarged you may regiure hypertranfusion .check atypical antibodies ,Sr ferrtin  alook T2 * mri and hcv.
Take blood transfusion at 25 ml per kg to increase proper hb and blood should be fresh of 2 to 4 days.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk