My son Rudra : Ferritin/S.G.O.T/S.G.P.T report

• 5 Replies

Offline Mukta

My son Rudra : Ferritin/S.G.O.T/S.G.P.T report
« on: September 06, 2015, 10:11:53 AM »
Hello everyone,

On recommendation of a very senior hematologist of Bombay we got our sons ferritin / sgot and sgpt counts done recently. My son Rudra 4 mnths old had undergone 2 transfusion of 100ml and 50 ml each before this test.  The readings have come and the Ferratin seems to be very high just only after 2 transfusions.
Ferritin : 1023
Sgot: 45
Sgpt: 43

I have still not met the hematologist after this reading but was thinking if these are like normal counts of Ferratin just after 2 transfusions? I have read we should start with chelation therapy if the count exceeds 1000. He is just 4 mnths old.

Offline zahra

Re: My son Rudra : Ferritin/S.G.O.T/S.G.P.T report
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 01:56:40 AM »
Hi,
Sometimes  ferritin  can be temporarily  high due to infection. Did your child have a cold or something  at time of testing?
Zahra

Offline Mukta

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 04:52:15 AM »
Thanks for replying Zahra ,

Yes he was not 100% with his health. He had just got vaccinated 4 days prior to this test and was having fever and a bit of cold after 2 days of his vaccination. I think we have to wait to see his next counts to know whats happening.

Offline Bostonian_04

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 08:43:14 PM »
Mukta,
it is most robably the vaccination that shot up his ferritin. Chelation should be started after ferritin reaches more than 1000 AND your child is atleast 2 yrs old.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ? - Plato

Offline Mukta

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 10:54:29 AM »
Friends ,

We got our sons ferritin tested again before his fourth transfusion and we were surprised to see the level dropped back to around 225.
As bostonian_04 suggested the high ferritin we noted could be due to his vaccination.

Offline Lokkhi maa

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 11:29:07 AM »

Hello Mukta: Its great.. :smiley

Hi Bostonian_04,

Please note,last April 2015 after 9 transfusions my babies serum ferrittin was 459.Now she is 2 yrs old and completed 13 transfusion.Thinking to test her again.What do you think and without serum ferrittin any test is needful?
Lokkhi Maa

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk