Foods with high Iron for Thalassemia Intermedia Patients!

• 7 Replies
Foods with high Iron for Thalassemia Intermedia Patients!
« on: February 26, 2016, 07:16:44 PM »
My daughter loves below foods, but i can't let her eat them b/c of high iron content.. she is a non transfused thalassemia intermediate. DNA test confirmed the type of Thalassemia she has..however, at the recent visit, doctor was stumped that she isn't showing any symptoms of thalassemia..her HB remains at 11. although her doctors has asked us to keep greens away from her...  please help clarify further...it's becoming more challenging as she gets older and wants to have these things and due to high content of iron we are limiting the consumption..

please help shine some light on foods listed below which i am not sure are considered Non-heme or not.

Oats, Quinoa, greens (ex: spinach, kale,etc), cashews, soy

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
Re: Foods with high Iron for Thalassemia Intermedia Patients!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 08:10:27 PM »
Hello PKP1713,

The foods you have listed contain non-heme iron.  Only meat and meat products contain heme iron. 

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline AJP

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 04:39:08 AM »
All iron containing vegetables , fruits, nuts are the source of non heme iron which is less readily absorbed. Drinking tea and dairy products with meals help to inhibit the non heme iron absorption. Avoid Vitamin C containing fruits along with meals as they enhance the rate of non heme iron absorption , take them in between meals.
Please don't think too much for iron concern. Since thals are deficient in nutrients so they should not avoid any nutritious foods for iron concern.
Stand up for your Right
Never give up your Fight

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 07:50:59 PM »
I am currently taking beet and carrot juice. What about it? I guess carrot doesn't have much to be concerned about but I assume beetroot contains a good amount of iron?

Thanks.
Every child is special.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 03:02:24 AM »
In general, veg foods contain iron that is not readily absorbed. This can be further reduced by drinking tea with meals.

PKP1713, a child with an Hb of 11 is in no danger from dietary iron. This only becomes a problem when the Hb has dropped below 9. Do not avoid nutritious foods that your child will eat.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 01:17:27 PM »
thank you so much everyone!

i have been stressed with this lists of foods for my child. getting clarification has put me as ease knowing she can eat and i dont have to stress.. she loves her greens..especially spinach..and since the doctor told us not to let her have any, it's been a battle..

i can't thank you guys enough..

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 07:15:45 PM »
PKP1713,

Foods like spinach will not harm your child - they will only make her healthier.  Glad to know she is making good choices :)

Sharmin

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 11:53:15 PM »
Greens are loaded with vitamins and minerals. She should eat as much as she wants.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk