Cardiac monitoring and treatment in thalassemia major

• 6 Replies

Offline jatin

Cardiac monitoring and treatment in thalassemia major
« on: June 07, 2016, 12:33:13 PM »
Hi everyone I want how to diagnosis early cardiac problem in thalassemia major as alone LVEF is not enough enough ..??
What's the treatment for cardaic complications as many cardaiclogist as not train to detect cardaic problem in thal and how to treat it
Thanks to all in advance

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Cardiac monitoring and treatment in thalassemia major
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 11:57:47 PM »
If cardiac problems beyond those that are caused by reversible iron overload are suspected, which can be detected by MRI, I believe that the patient should be investigated for any signs of pulmonary hypertension.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 07:09:58 AM »
Andy, I've always had increased heart beats since several years now (I can't ever remember them being 70-80 anyway since I was child lol). Does that mean I have a chance for PHT? I don't have any other symptoms of it except increased heartbeats (90-105).

I however notice that they get better in the first week after I transfuse (stays around 90 or so mostly). So I guess all Thal majors mostly has this especially on the last few days before transfusion due to slightly lower hb?

Thanks,

-P
Every child is special.

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 02:24:01 PM »
All transfusing patients are at risk of PHT. And as you observe, the lower the Hb, the harder the heart has to work. Antioxidants and nitric oxide fixers like carnitine and arginine can help prevent this, as will keeping the Hb higher.
Andy

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 07:39:24 PM »
Hi Andy,you mentioned "the lower the Hb, the harder the heart has to work." Are there any medical journal articles published supporting this. I need to take them to my PHT Dr who has somehow been reluctant to take this into account when considering my course of treatment and giving her input into frequency of BTs.

Thanks.

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 09:51:27 PM »
It's baffling that any doctor treating thalassemics with transfusion would not understand this. Please see the article at http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php/topic,1451.0.html

Cardiac structure and function in TM are mainly affected by two competing factors: iron load and increased cardiac output (CO). The cardiac iron deposition results in a decrease of left ventricular function. The anaemia together with marrow expansion leads to volume overload and increased CO that then demands increased contractility adding additional stress to the heart. (Starling’s Law).

The article goes into depth about the factors affecting the heart in thalassemia, so there is much in this article to support maintaining a higher Hb level.
As CO may be close to normal when Hb level is ≥10 g/dL, patients’ Hb concentration should be kept above 10 g/dL by regular blood transfusions. The patients should only be transfused with one packed red cell unit no greater than 250 mL with diuretic treatment as well.
Andy

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 11:14:01 AM »
Thank you very much. I will be sure to take it to my next appointments.

Khwahish

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk