Please say a little prayer

• 14 Replies

Offline Christine Mary

• Mother of Lauryn, who has Thal Major
Please say a little prayer
« on: January 11, 2007, 10:37:52 PM »
Hi guys!

I thought I can ask you to say a little prayer for me. I've had a SPN (solitary pulmonary nodule) in my lung for about 5 years.
Well,it was diagnosed in '02,but they think I got it before then, and not known it...
In Arizona,where I live,there is a high incidence rate of Valley Fever.(That is what they say I've had). Valley fever is an infection of the lungs caused by a fungus that we breathe in. After you have recovered from Valley fever (its pneumonia type symptoms), it leaves scar tissue in your lungs.
I have been a smoker for about 12 years. The only time I quit was when I was pregnant with my kids.... (please dont yell at me I know Its HORRIBLE!!!)
At my last checkup,about 3 weeks ago, my md wanted to do a routine chest xray just to make sure everything is ok. She said Valley fever scar tissue can even disappear!!!

WELL.....They called me and told me it GREW. Valley fever scar tissue is NOT SUPPOSED to grow. The spn was originally 1.3 cm in '02 and now it is 1.7 cm.  :sigh
I now have to go for blood work and a CT scan to see whats going on?  :impatient
Thankfully I don't have any other symptoms, but I am a NERVOUS WRECK. I am more concerned about myself than Lauryn. That's how great she is doing....
They never said "cancer" but they didnt say it wasnt either.. I am only 27 yrs old. Wouldnt that be extremely unusual for someone at my age to develope lung cancer???
Helllllllllp-pppp  :wah

Lauryn's Mom

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
Re: Please say a little prayer
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 11:00:28 PM »
Dear Christine :hugfriend :heartred

Please calm down and throw all these bad thoughts please. I will pray for you and i am sure it will be something minor. Please keep us updated

Take care
Manal

Offline KHALIFA

• ONE FOR ALL AND ALL FOR ONE
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 11:01:08 PM »
realy you make me also worry i hope it's not dangrouse and go ahead for your chest scan and keep us informed regard me am going to pray for you surlley to go back home to take care for your prety girl...
                                  ALL THE BEST
                                               khalifa
                                         state of kuwait
RED_PILOT

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 03:06:09 AM »
Hi Christine,

I'll definitly say a prayer for you.  More likely than not in situations like these the solution is simpler and the diagnosis less severe than what we fear.  Often there is a simpler explanation and our imaginations and fears get carried away - especially for those of that have dealt with receiving the diagnosis of thalassemia in our families.  I pray that you'll breath a sigh of relief real soon!

:smiley :smiley
Sharmin

Offline Danielle

• Beta Thal Major
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 03:15:54 AM »
I'm so sorry to hear that you are going through this, Christine.  You don't need anymore stress.  I will definitely be keeping you in my prayers, as I always do with little Lauryn.   :hugfriend

Keep us updated.  We are always here for you.   :heartpink

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 03:35:10 AM »
Hi Christine,

It took a bit of searching but I finally found some information of the growth of solitary pulmonary nodules and what it means. And I do hope this gives you a little peace of mind and we definitely will all be praying that everything will be fine.

The doubling time of the nodule is a key bit of information in determining whether or not the nodule is malignant or benign.  From http://www.postgradmed.com/issues/1997/03_97/lilling.htm

Detection of growth
Malignant nodules usually grow at a constant exponential rate, which can be expressed as the tumor's doubling time (ie, the interval required for it to double in size). An increase of 28% in nodule diameter indicates doubling (1). In malignant lesions, the doubling time is between 25 and 450 days in most cases, with a median of 120 days.

Benign lesions are usually stable (ie, show no growth). Sometimes they grow slowly (ie, doubling time exceeds 500 days), but occasionally their doubling time falls within the time frame typical of a malignant tumor. A long-standing surgical dictum states that a solitary pulmonary nodule is almost certainly benign if it is stable over a 2-year period (which implies a doubling time exceeding 730 days). Stability is determined by retrospective analysis of one or more chest films.

Yours has doubled (1.66 cm would be exactly 28% bigger) in far longer than the two year period, so hopefully this is nothing serious. I did find one other source that mentioned that it isn't common but they do sometimes slowly grow. The CT scan will give a better view for diagnostic purposes.

I want to mention one more thing about smoking that many people are unaware of. Lisa first told me about this. Cigarette smoke is high in iron which is very readily absorbed in the lungs. I don't want to lecture but it is a fact of which thals should be aware.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 07:16:39 AM »
hi christine,
im sorry to hear about your health problems and your right 27 is way too young toi develop anything! im also 27 and have thal major,you will be in my prayers.take care
sydneygirl

Offline Christine Mary

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 01:14:51 PM »
Thanks so much for your prayers and advice everyone!! :hugfriend

A few positives that I didn't mention....

1. It wasn't a STAT CT scan, so I would think if they were suspicious they would have told me to go immediatley.

2.There IS calcification, which shows promise of being benign.

3.I had my xrays done at two different centers in the past, so the likelihood of the radiologists opinions being different are a factor.

4.I had blood work done in Aug.2006 when i was in labor with Lauryn, and my results were perfect.(white cell count etc...)

5.The fact that I did have this for so long, and there have'nt been MAJOR changes gives me hope.

Lauryn's Mom

Offline Christine Mary

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 01:19:46 PM »
OH!!!! and....

My dr said yesterday that if I wanted to go pick up the chest xrays from a surgery I had in 2005 and bring them to the NEW xray place, i can avoid the CT scan and just have them compared....

:dunno

Lauryn's Mom

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 04:06:44 PM »
Chritine27

Hope all goes well for you. You're in my prayers.

Regards
Bharat

Offline jzd24

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2007, 03:34:53 AM »
Christine,
     Sorry you have to deal with this new stress. I am praying that everything will be fine. You are a very nice person, and a great mom. Hi to Lauryn! love, Jean :bighug

Offline Danielle

• Beta Thal Major
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2007, 09:50:25 AM »
OH!!!! and....

My dr said yesterday that if I wanted to go pick up the chest xrays from a surgery I had in 2005 and bring them to the NEW xray place, i can avoid the CT scan and just have them compared....

:dunno

Well I'm glad that you can avoid having another test done.  :sadyup  I hope it turns out to be nothing serious.  You will continue to be in my prayers, Christine.   :hugfriend

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2007, 06:22:33 AM »
Hi Christine!

Don't worry, hopefully it's not going to be anything serious. Don't panic and stay strong.

You are always in our prayers. :pray

Take care, Peace!
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline vic

• thal minor with sickle cell child
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2007, 10:28:06 AM »
hi christine,
i guess things are little reminders that as mums of children with an illness we need to take time out and look after ourselves.  we give so much to our thal child/ren  that we forget that we are no good to them if we dont take some time out for ourselves.  i should take heed of my own advice as its easier said than done.  keep us posted.

:hithere
vic

Offline Miaki

• Ash and Me Dubai
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2007, 02:05:36 PM »
Hi Christine,

Fingers crossed all will be well. Positive thoughts coming your way. Good luck and keep us posted.

Miaki :goodluck

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk