Devastating News

• 182 Replies

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
Re: Devastating News
« Reply #165 on: May 16, 2009, 06:50:06 PM »
Indeed a big PHEWW!!!  :biggrin No Osteoporosis, YAYYYYY !!! I am so happy for our princess , Hugs and kisses for her  :hugfriend :kiss

running, jumping, chasing and teasing the brother are recommended.

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl Poor brother  :rotfl .

Zaini.

^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #166 on: May 16, 2009, 07:01:58 PM »
CF,

The need for vitamin D has only recently been recognized and the research that proved that those with darker skin need more D is relatively recent. Kudos to your doctor for being aware of this and recommending supplements during the colder months. Nothing beats sunshine, and it usually isn't hard to get kids outdoors during the nice weather, but those fall and winter months are long and dreary, so we have to make up for the lack of sunlight. Anyone living in a climate where sun is not present year round need to pay attention to this. I've seen what a difference vitamin D makes to my physical and emotional health in the winter months and I have become a great believer in this most essential nutrient.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #167 on: May 18, 2009, 09:17:21 PM »
Thanks Andy and Zaini.

Going back to your post, what did we learn from this experience. Its about time that we listen to the doctors carefully but keep our eyes open to other factors they ignore. If we had prior knowledge of osteo, the reaction would not be so extreme. Andy is right, how a child who is regularly transfused and on a good diet can develop osteo unless there is underlying genetic problem.

I think the hematologist made her diagnosis based on one factor (i.e. BMD) and ignored all other factors (we need to keep an eye on these). We know thal have osteo problems but it is more of a problem at puberty age and can be corrected. The best way is to keep learning and this forum is the best way indeed.

Regards.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #168 on: May 18, 2009, 10:06:49 PM »
Thanks Andy and Zaini.

Going back to your post, what did we learn from this experience. Its about time that we listen to the doctors carefully but keep our eyes open to other factors they ignore. If we had prior knowledge of osteo, the reaction would not be so extreme. Andy is right, how a child who is regularly transfused and on a good diet can develop osteo unless there is underlying genetic problem.

I think the hematologist made her diagnosis based on one factor (i.e. BMD) and ignored all other factors (we need to keep an eye on these). We know thal have osteo problems but it is more of a problem at puberty age and can be corrected. The best way is to keep learning and this forum is the best way indeed.

Canadian Family,

I am so glad that your worries were alleviated, but the worry and grief that your family has experienced due to this misunderstanding is almost inhumane.  It is so terrible that you have gone through this, but now we have the information to help patients in the future interpret such results. 

It reminds me of our situation when lil A was diagnosed - in the first few months we were led to believe that thal is a fatal disease, claiming most patients in adolescence, and others living into their 30s only.  We were told that thals are always infertile, living very limited and disabled lives.  For months we had to live with this prognosis - until I decided to take my son to sick kids in Toronto and receive more up to date and realistic information - which I was able to bring back to my city.  It gave me such a sense of relief to be able to share this information to other patients so that they did not have to feel the way that we did. 

I think that as a group we can save each other and so many others so much grief and pain by sharing these experiences. 

I am so glad that lil Miss A is doing much better than we thought.  That really broke all of our hearts and this recent appointment has made us all feel so much better.  Sending much love with hugs and kisses to our princess. 

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #169 on: May 18, 2009, 10:23:38 PM »
Sharmin, i can not agree more,
 :happyyes :happyyes :happyyes :exactly
manal

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #170 on: May 19, 2009, 12:56:54 PM »
Hi CF ,
i m happy to hear that your daughter is doing well at and things r returning back to normal  .. best of luck for the future :goodluck ..

Lots Of Best Wishes &
Best Regards
Take Care
Umair
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

« Reply #171 on: September 15, 2009, 03:06:20 PM »
Hello Friends,

Little Miss A's next results came out today. Her vitamin D is 103 (normal range is 75-250). The Dietician is satisfied with the vitamin D level but since the summer is almost over and we are approcahing fall. We are thinking to start vitamin D supplement (1ml daily) which would provide extra 400IU during winter time. The caltrate she is taking already has 400IU of vitamin D. The results also shows normal range of calcium and next BMD is in October.

Little Miss A is back on Exjade and her last known ferritin level was 1000.
Regards.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #172 on: September 15, 2009, 03:21:24 PM »
Canadian Family,

That sounds great, I am so glad that lil Miss A is doing good!  Much love to our little princess!

Sharmin

Sharmin

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #173 on: September 15, 2009, 06:01:54 PM »
Thanks for sharing the wonderful news Canadian Family. It is always nice hearing from you

manal

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #174 on: September 15, 2009, 10:03:10 PM »
Glad to hear that :yes Kisses for Little Miss A :kiss
^*^Xaini^*^

« Reply #175 on: September 15, 2009, 10:28:14 PM »
Thanks Sharmin, Manal and Zaini.
Regards.

Offline Dori

« Reply #176 on: September 16, 2009, 03:52:32 PM »
Twice good news is excellent!!!! Good luck with Exjade & everything else!

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #177 on: September 18, 2009, 06:55:27 AM »
Hi Ya Canadian Family,
its nice to hear this , and to read this thread ...
Congrats for 2 good news , wish you all the for future  ... my this trend of good news will continue .. May GOD bless her with the best of health and bless her wit fast recovery to all the damages she went through (Ameen)....

Best Regards
Take Care
Umair
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

« Reply #178 on: September 19, 2009, 02:10:16 AM »
Thanks Dore and Nice Friend.
Regards.

« Reply #179 on: November 17, 2011, 07:25:38 PM »
Dear Group,

We first reported the osteoporosis news in November of 2008. Today we had another appointment with Dr. Sochett and are happy to report that the DEXA Z result was -1.4 (which is close to normal) please note that the range of +1 to -1 is considered a normal range.

The tend we saw was 2008, little Miss A had a DEXA Z score of -3.8 (severe osteoporosis), 2009 DEXA Z score was -2.4 (ostepeonia), 2010 DEXA Z score was -1.8 and 2011 its -1.4.

I am posting this to give people hope that osteoporosis is reversible in thalassemia. As you can see we got the wonderful advices from all the members and we stuck to the plan for three years and results have improved.

Please keep up with your vitamin D, calcium doses and take lots of dairy products. Good luck to all.

Regards,

Regards.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk