Need support

• 7 Replies

Offline Maako

Need support
« on: October 27, 2010, 04:28:25 AM »
Hi all,

I know much has been posted under dental issues, but help me again.

Recently i went to a dentist for routine scaling. I couldn't get an appointment for the regular one, so I had to take this appointment.. I explained to her the importance of prophylaxis treatment for thalassaemics and why we need it, she was dead against it...

She said there were so many thal majors taking dental treatment and that they had no such problem and that scaling was a simple procedure. And that even the most susceptible heart patients are advised not to take the antibiotic cover..

She wrote the following on my prescription

"Patient has been recommended antibiotic prophylaxis before on dental treatment by physician abroad (according to patient). She has no relevant medical history other than being a thalassaemia major.
Advised that prophalaxis is unncessary, but patient insists on it"

She went on and on about how patients are used to these unncessery procedures and how they don't listen when doctors try to give good advice and that taking antibiotic cover poses more risk than not taking it..

She also said that she studied in UK and no dental doctor in UK would prescribe this with the new studies..

And she told me that the risks of taking this include difficulty in breathing, rashes, ...etc..

Even after all that, i told her i still want the treatment and am not doing it before the antibiotic cover..

And then she asked me to read NICE guidelines about prophylaxis treatment..

http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/pdf/CG64NICEguidance.pdf

http://www.google.mv/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CBwQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rcpch.ac.uk%2Fdoc.aspx%3Fid_Resource%3D5815&rct=j&q=nice%20guidelines%20for%20antibiotic%20prophylaxis%20for%20dental%20treatment&ei=d6THTL36HYSPnwfk9PGnAw&usg=AFQjCNGtzyiX7_y5qKxaRZw7R0rQi-k5NQ&cad=rja

http://cme.medscape.com/viewarticle/555596

I read and re-read the above, but couldnt find anything related to thalassaemia and this treatment..

so help me with this ..

=maako=
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 08:54:03 AM by Maako »
Maako

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Need support for an argument with my dentist
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 06:04:14 AM »
Maako,

Unfortunately, the Standard of Care for Thalassemia only supports dental prophylaxis for splenectomized patients.

14 Dental Evaluation
The teeth can be significantly affected in patients with
thalassemia, but proper transfusion therapy can prevent
many of the changes. However, close dental and orthodontic
monitoring is crucial. In addition to regular
annual dental care, thalassemia patients should be evaluated
by a dentist to determine if bony changes requiring
orthodontic treatments have developed. If orthodontics
are recommended, they will be covered by insurance,
since their necessity is disease-related.
Furthermore, splenectomy can complicate dental care
due to increased risk of infection. Prior to dental work,
which is likely to cause bleeding of the gums, splenectomized
patients should receive dental prophylaxis.
Recommended treatment is 50 mg/kg of amoxicillin (to
a maximum dose of 2 g) one hour prior to dental work.
If the patient is allergic to penicillin, 20 mg/kg of clindamycin
(to a maximum dose of 600 mg) should be
administered one hour prior to procedure.

I can't say I agree with this, and we have talked about this before at http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php?topic=842.msg6388#msg6388  In this thread, Danielle mentions her friend who died after dental work.

Are there guidelines used that would support antibiotic prophylaxis for all thal patients? What are people told at their thal centers regarding taking precautions for dental work?
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Maako

Re: Need support
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 05:50:07 PM »
hi Andy,

thank you for ure reply..

I can't say I agree with this,
, did u meant to say u dont agree with that the treatment shud be given to every thal? or to thals only with splenectomy?

I talked to Dr. Farzana at and she too recommended i take the antibiotics before i go for treatment as i have some canker sores on my gums even now.. ..

i know about the topics.. even the one manal posted, saying that even a simple dental procedure shud be done with these precautions.. but i wanted proof (as in scholarly articles or research materials)..

i think am going to try another dentist again...

=maako=
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 08:55:35 AM by Maako »
Maako

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 05:58:36 PM »
Maako,

I did mean that I don't agree with limiting preventive treatment to only those with no spleen. I really think it's wise for all thals to take this precaution. Death isn't a risk worth taking.
Andy

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 10:07:34 PM »
Maako,

Dr Farzana is your doctor. If she prescribes something, other doctors should not be questioning that.
Andy

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 10:28:31 PM »
Maako

The best thing is to let your dentist talk to your doctor over the phone. This is actually what i did because at the beginning the dentist also said that only heart patients take the antibiotic cover, but after they talked over the phone, the dentist always make sure the my son is covered even if she is doing a smiple cleaning

Andy
I thought that the antibiotic cover is for thal with low hb only (in addition to splenctomised) because of their compromised immune system (due to low HB), so a bacterial infection couuld be life threatening to them compared to other non thal

But for a thal major with a high hb (especially after the transfuion), doesn't this put him/her in the category of non thal in terms of dental work. correct me if i am wrong

manal

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 10:34:36 PM »
Manal,

I think all thals should take this precaution but the guidelines do not recommend this. Danielle lost a 19 year old friend who had dental work done. I don't agree with doctors who think the chances are too slim to bother with this prevention measure.

I really would like to hear from people outside the US to see what the local recommendations are.
Andy

Offline Maako

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 12:38:18 AM »
thank u, Andy and Manal,

yup, i think i better let my doctor talk to her instead of changing the dentist each time.. i'll give it a try.. hehe..

=maako=

Maako

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk